Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moving-another-state-my-stash-supplies-t71135.html)

Fabaddict 10-20-2010 05:31 AM

I put my stash in rubbermade totes - had 12 of them. Since I already had it sorted on the shelves in old sewing room, I put a piece of masking tape with what was in each tote - color, fabric content. Was easy to get to when it was in storage and I was living in another house until mine was built.

Maire 10-20-2010 06:01 AM

I've used my stash as packing material. But a warning if your husband or someone else is doing the unpacking when you are not around be sure they are told not to throw away the packing! I once came very close to losing my stash, still can't believe my dear husband, trying to be helpful, didn't realize what it was. Or maybe he did-LOL

merrylouw 10-20-2010 06:12 AM

All the suggestions given have been very good, but one thing hasn't been mentioned: Space Bags! Those bags you suck the air out with your vacuum cleaner. They can then be put in boxes -- saves lots of space.

MaggieLou 10-20-2010 06:26 AM

If you can, take some things you will need right away with you. Things like cleaning supplies, potty paper, a couple of mugs for drinks, paper plates and plastic cutlery. Also paper towels, and soap.

quilt3311 10-20-2010 06:55 AM

When a friend moved she had 96 packing boxes from her studio. You can pack breakables in fabric, fat quarter between plates, etc. That way you can label the box "kitchen" and no one ever knows its mostly fabric. grin

dphelps 10-20-2010 07:34 AM

Believe me, I don't envy you. I just moved from WV to NC. Most of my things were in storage in Fl. Went there to pick up my stuff and moved it to NC. I have been staying with my mom fore the last year in WV so I had accumulated a bit. The movers took care of that. Now I sit in my Living room with bins of my stash and thank goodness I have a fairly large closet to store some of my quilt stash. The rest, I don't know yet. I know I will be donating some of the fabric to be used for clothing. As for using my stash to cushion my breakables; I just use towels and wash cloths, along with white packing paper. But that is just me. Glad the move is over. As soon as I can get unpacked, I can get back to my Christmas projects. I have missed sewing.

bink 10-20-2010 07:57 AM

I just moved from Oregon to Wyoming and packed it all myself.
Fortunately, my 'quilt room' is very organized so I packed it as stored. I labeled each box as FQ's, kits, closet, and such. Every box had a big 'Q' on it and so it was delivered to the correct room when removed from the truck. The unpacking went well and my whole place was entirely put away, ( no boxes) in 1 1/2 weeks , and this is while working. My suggestion is organization, patience, don't mix rooms or stuff, and take one box at a time. Good luck.

tcnmom 10-20-2010 08:06 AM

I am in the process of moving from Az. to Mn. I am doing the packing and using ABF, you load and unload yourself. I sold most of my furniture so have mostly boxes. I used wardrobe boxes to back most of my sewing room and have 6 wardrobes, 4 totes and a few boxes from the sewing room. The machines and TV's go with me. I have used towels, rugs and quilts for packing. When they unload next Friday, I know the men are going to give me remarks about all the boxes that say "Sewing".

fidgety 10-20-2010 08:13 AM

I would use totes and label them as to just what was n them. It will be easy to put away that way.

Jim's Gem 10-20-2010 08:36 AM

I had to pack up all of it (of course there was less then than now) when we had some water damage and my Family room was torn apart and then put back together. I put it all in clear 66qt rubbermaid tubs. I sorted all by color and type. They were all neatly folded to about the same size that would word in my new cabinetry. The tubs were heavy but I liked seeing what was in the tub and then when we put it all in my new cabinets, they were already sorted.