Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moving the machine, not the fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moving-machine-not-fabric-t278046.html)

Watson 04-24-2016 04:27 PM

Moving the machine, not the fabric

I've been looking at the Sweet 16 model and those types, but I would really like a machine where you move the machine itself, not the fabric. What are the suggested options, other than a full size long arm?

Thanks, Watson

Prism99 04-24-2016 05:22 PM

I have a Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame, which is more like a midarm than a longarm. For setups where you move the machine, it is really the frame that takes up all the space. I'd have to go measure to be sure, but my frame is about 4 feet deep but you then need at least 3 additional feet at the front for your body. Most people also want 2 to 3 additional feet of space at the back to get around the frame for plugs, working on the machine, and to do pantographs from the back (3 feet). The width of the frame depends on the biggest size quilt you want to be able to mount. Mine is 10 feet wide, and I can fit a quilt up to 9 feet on it (you need to allow at least one foot on one side of the frame so you can put bobbins in the machine.

There are a couple of frames out that are smaller. I've seen questions about them posted recently on the QB. I think one is a Babylock. These are not the usual setup in that you need to layer the quilt as usual and then clamp just portions of the quilt to the frame while you move the machine to quilt.

Cari-in-Oly 04-24-2016 05:26 PM

Look at the HQ Simply 16 with the Little Foot Frame or the Babylock Coronet. They're the same machine/frame set up since HQ builds the Babylock machine and frame.

Cari

quiltingshorttimer 04-24-2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7532265)
I've been looking at the Sweet 16 model and those types, but I would really like a machine where you move the machine itself, not the fabric. What are the suggested options, other than a full size long arm?

Thanks, Watson

Yes--there is a big difference in the 2 methods. Is your hesitancy with the full size long arm due to the space or the cost? If it's the cost, you might contact some dealers about a used machine. Space can be awkward, but 12' frame can sometimes but positioned at an angle in bedrooms. good luck with finding a machine that you like and works for you--I absolutely love the quilting process.

DOTTYMO 04-24-2016 10:23 PM

I have a wooden frame on which I use either my janome or juki machines. ( preference to juki which has a larger throat..) it works very well on free motioning a quilt. King and queen size don't fit exactly do them in sections. I use ,red snappers to load quilt and it goes on quick and easy. I already had the janome when I purchased the machine. Purchased juki at a quilt show later. The set up cost about £1000 altogether the wooden frame a few hundred with machine costing about the same. The wooden frame is 9ft which was size for my wall. It did do different sizes.

notmorecraft 04-25-2016 12:33 AM

Dottymo, what frame do you have and was it from a UK stockists?

sandy l 04-25-2016 03:19 AM

And once it's set up, it becomes a semi-permanent part of your room. They are just to big and heavy to set-up and take down when-ever.

ontheriver 04-25-2016 04:14 AM

I have a brother 1500 on a home made frame. Very limited in quilting space, only about 5 inches, but it works for me although at times it feels like driving a truck without power steering as the carriage and frame not the smoothest. I dream of a long arm.

Dolphyngyrl 04-25-2016 08:54 AM

Brother has a 5ft dream fabric frame, very decently sized for small areas and it is compatible with the 14 inch qnique/blockrockit, you can do all size quilts on the frame due to its size. i believe handiquilter also has a similar frame but the brother one looks nicer to me but believe you can use a bigger machine on theirs I think not sure

bakermom 04-25-2016 10:05 AM

I test drove the brother dream frame recently. Really liked it. Asked if it would work with my Juki, they said it would work on the frame but speed control? was brand/model specific.