Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Must haves for newbie quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/must-haves-newbie-quilter-t203438.html)

GrannieAnnie 10-17-2012 05:34 AM

a good mat, good rotary cutter, SEAM RIPPER (with a comfy handle and fine point), 5" x 24" ruler (my first had a lip on it that helped hold ruler in place). A good scissors and one of my newer favorites, a little nipper. The nipper is always open and it's great for snipping threads and cutting tiny amounts of fabric.

ArtsyOne 10-17-2012 05:58 AM

How exciting to be starting to quilt! I have had the same 5" x 24" lipped ruler for more than 30 years and could not do without it. I use it for cutting across the width of fabrics and it also has angle markings on it so that I can cut bias binding strips. I have a ton of other rulers that I never use, so I would consider this ruler to be the one to have. I also couldn't do without my small, very sharp embroidery scissors that I use in tandem with my seam ripper. Have lately discovered basting spray and don't know how I've managed this long without it. The two last items that I consider to be important are a good rotary cutter that fits your hand comfortably and a large cutting mat that covers your table. With regard to the rotary cutter, I must have about 8 of them and there's really only one I use consistently - it's the small yellow Olfa. Welcome and have fun!!

QuiltnNan 10-17-2012 06:01 AM

welcome to the board. i could not live without my 6.5x24" fluorescent ruler. of course, the self-closing rotary cutter and self-healing mat go along with that.

jlm5419 10-17-2012 06:13 AM

When I started, I got a June Taylor cut and press, a 6"x13" ruler, and a rotary cutter, in addition to standard sewing supplies. I still use all, and have added rulers and a large cutting mat.

Neesie 10-17-2012 06:45 AM

Welcome, from Texas! I would advise having several of the small (clear) 6" rulers (fairly cheap, at WalMart). These are good for measuring seams and marking seam lines/guides, etc.; these little rulers have countless uses! Place one by your sewing machine and then place the others in various places, around your sewing area. Keep an extra one, in a "safe place," for when you can't find any of the others! :p Seriously.

misskira 10-17-2012 07:15 AM

Hand sewing needles too! For binding. Sharp pins, iron, seam ripper, rotary cutter, ruler and mat. Start with the basics and add as you "need" things. :) have fun!!

Peckish 10-17-2012 08:28 AM

To answer your question, I thought about what items I take with me on retreats.

Sewing machine
needles (both hand and machine)
scissors
rotary cutter
ruler (what kind will be a personal choice - people like their rulers for different reasons)
cutting mat
seam ripper

glue is something I can't live without, both liquid school glue and glue sticks. I hesitate to add it to a list of things for brand-new quilters, but fortunately glue is both cheap and easily available.

patchsamkim 10-17-2012 08:40 AM

Someone else did mention the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler...that is a tool I would NOT want to be without...such a time saver. Everyone has listed so many necessary tools. Start with the basics, and then see what other tools you may need. A longer ruler (6x24) a shorter ruler (maybe 4-1/2x12-1/2) a square ruler (6x6) would be the minimum of rulers that would be helpful for a new quilter. A good seam ripper is useful (I like the Clover one). A good pair of scissors, and a small snips. Of course a rotary cutting board and cutter.
Have fun!

Buckeye Rose 10-17-2012 09:03 AM

The best lighting you can afford!....the light on my 6600 just doesn't cut it so I have a goose necked lamp setting behind the machine and it makes a world of difference....am searching for a reasonably priced ($70 online is way out of line) LED to put under the harp of the machine.

AliKat 10-17-2012 09:08 AM

I would add a good square up ruler for your quilting. I prefer the Martingale - That Patchwork Place one.

If you have any 'special needs' due to arthritis or something that makes the steps of quilting awkward, then there are more suggestions. I like my alto's QuiltCut 2 as I can cut more and more accurately. This is for when you have been quilting a while though.

When I started other quilters gave me my stash. All it took was going to a class at my LQS and joining local quilt groups/guilds.

Have fun.

ali