Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Comic Book Boards Have Arrived!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-comic-book-boards-have-arrived-t100450.html)

DogHouseMom 02-17-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
These are 7.5" X 10.5"... These are the stabilizer boards that comic book sellers use in their packaging. There are plastic bags the same size, and they put each comic book in one of the bags, with one of these boards behind it, for stability. A pack of 100 of these weighs several pounds, so it's not going to be cheap to ship. But this is a much cheaper alternative to the boards that are being sold to wrap fabric on. They cost something like $1 apiece, and the comic boards I bought were $.10 apiece, including the shipping. They aren't as thick and sturdy, but they take up less space and as you can see, they work fine! But... shsssssh! Don't tell the comic book dealers we quilters are using them for fabric! They might 'up' the price!

My late husband used to own a comic book store and I've inherited it. I've got tons of the backer boards, I might put them to use!!

The other bonus is that because they're for comic books they're acid free and all that other stuff to prevent ruining precious copies of old books.

They will also come in different sizes. I dont' know the dimensions off hand - but they would be advertised as "current", "Silver age" (a little larger), "Golden Age" (larger still), and "Magazine" (the largest).

NannySandy 02-17-2011 02:25 PM

Thanks for the idea!!! I just called a comic book store near me and is $6.99 for 100 boards. He has 3 sizes, 6 7/8 X 9 3/4 (he guesstimated), 7 1/2 X 10 1/2 and the last size a little bigger. I'm going to head his way tomorrow.

Nanamoms 02-17-2011 02:29 PM

Rats, don't think I have a comic book store near me. :( Not that I have that much fabric to put on the boards yet! LOL

Lori S 02-17-2011 02:47 PM

Brilliant !!! I am going to have to check this out!! Thanks for the info!

JUNEC 02-17-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Rats, don't think I have a comic book store near me. :( Not that I have that much fabric to put on the boards yet! LOL

Do a web search - you might me surprized

sewbizgirl 02-17-2011 05:59 PM

JUNEC, the boards aren't thick like the kind sold for fabric, but they are pretty sturdy and hold the fabric without bowing. I thought I was going to have to use 2 boards per bolt, but I don't!

sewbizgirl 02-17-2011 06:00 PM

We don't have a comic book store here, either... just a guy at the flea market who is a rip off artist. I'd rather get them from Ebay than him.

xsquilter 02-17-2011 06:18 PM

Awesome! Very neat looking! This is organization at it's best!
Maureen

Goldie 02-17-2011 06:52 PM

I got 200 thinking they would last a long time...i have just 10 left!

hperttula123 02-17-2011 06:54 PM

That is wonderful!!! Glad you found such a great deal on them.