Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My local monthly quilting bee just broke up!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-local-monthly-quilting-bee-just-broke-up-t27783.html)

wordmama 10-28-2009 02:01 PM

Our guild originally started with the Whitley County Extension office, kind of like the grown up 4H. They have a Homemakers Club and maybe another sewing club. After a while we couldn't follow their rules, so we went "independent". I joined because of an ad in the newspaper. Also, some groups in our area meet at local quilt stores. Those are some of my ideas. Hope they help. :)

wvdek 10-28-2009 05:50 PM

What a bummer. Hope you are successful getting another one together.

littlehud 10-28-2009 06:55 PM

That is too bad. It's so nice when you can sew with friends.

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 10-28-2009 08:08 PM

:? So Sorry for you, Yet My Group is a Real Pain especially at times like they want you to do /sew all this stuff and I can't get my stuff done But I would Let U have my group If Possible, But Hope you can find or make a real Good group, I wish I could Find one !!!

Prism99 10-28-2009 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Thank you. If we were all close we would surely bring the roof caving in anywhere we were. We met at the local Firehouse. They donated the place to us. They place is still there but the people don't want to do it. I may try to start a new one. Some of the ladies were not really friendly anyway. I am bummed though.

Since you have a place, I would try to place strategic ads to draw in new people. Your local newspaper may offer free or low-cost 2-line ads and you could post a flyer at grocery store bulletin boards. You could also ask local quilt shops if they would keep some flyers on the cutting counter for interested patrons.

alaskasunshine 10-28-2009 08:25 PM

Most LQS have a weekly open sew, or at least a monthly sew n chat. You might want to check that out......Just get the word out. As the weather cools perhaps things will change. So sorry. Hugs from Alaska!

mimisharon 10-29-2009 07:22 AM

We could always meet somewhere in the middle states between us and sew/chat, K! I'd bet we'd get more chatting done than sewing though, what do you think?

I wish I could get the time to join our local guild, I seem to be on the road for each month regular meeting. But soon, maybe, I'll catch up. I'm sitting here reading and responding when I SHOULD be working on paperwork. sighhhh, I hate hate hate the paper work for state and federal gov. Shouldn't have to do that stuff!

Hugs,
Sharon

mjsylvstr 10-29-2009 07:42 AM

When you are lonely, turn on the computer and talk to us.....

MaryJane

Rose Hall 10-29-2009 08:16 AM

If you do start a new group please post hints of how you advertised, etc. I tried to start a new "crafting" night a few years ago in my school library (after hours, of course). I advertised at the 2 LQS, sent letters to the local guilds, etc. No takers. I have plenty of tables in the library and really thought I would attract some scrapbookers who could spread out, but no luck. I even offered dinner and a movie!
I also have an unused balcony area that I was willing to let a quilting frame stay up and still no luck.
Rose Hall

adrianlee 10-29-2009 09:57 AM

I feel sad for you. I have 2 friends who quilt but we live in different little towns that are miles apart and we don't get to see each other much.