Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sil-would-rather-have-pottery-barn-quilt-than-homemade-t46330.html)

Maksi 05-19-2010 10:13 AM

I'm sorry you are hurt. But forget it for a while. Then when the child is bigger I'm sure it want to have an awesome colorfull homemade quilt from her/his beloved aunt. (is it ant or aunt?)
Big hug!

Grama Lehr 05-19-2010 10:17 AM

Aunt or my kids say Auntie, but ant is an insect! 8-)

Maksi 05-19-2010 10:24 AM

Thanks for helping me out Grama. :)

D'Marie 05-19-2010 11:33 AM

Don't let them ruin your fun.You make what you want, it's for the baby anyway, not te momma.One quilt is never enough and she will be happy to have it, later when people start asking where she got it.Some people can be so mean.Our family always hopes I will gift them with quilts because they last better than boughten stuff.Wait till that quilt is wahed a few times and it fades and starts coming apart. She will thank you then.

Quiltin'Lady 05-19-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
... She told me they were probably going to decorate the room with Pottery Barn furniture and accessories, and there's already a quilt to match so they'd just use that.

My husband's two nieces were exactly the same -- everything had to be Pottery Barn. :roll: I couldn't afford anything more than a crib sheet, so I bought one (for each of three little girls) and used it as the basis for quilts that I made from my designs. They loved them! The quilts had enough of the PB to match, but were made specifically for them by me.

And I agree with everyone else who has commented about needing extras -- you never know how much stuff a baby needs until you've got one! :lol:

PennyLynn 05-19-2010 11:56 AM

I would go ahead and make a quilt that they can take with them, a child uses many quilts and you can make it out of fabric that matches. Good luch and I'm sure she will enjoy it, adn realize the need for more then one quilt.

CRicart 05-19-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady

Originally Posted by Sharon - NC
... She told me they were probably going to decorate the room with Pottery Barn furniture and accessories, and there's already a quilt to match so they'd just use that.

My husband's two nieces were exactly the same -- everything had to be Pottery Barn. :roll: I couldn't afford anything more than a crib sheet, so I bought one (for each of three little girls) and used it as the basis for quilts that I made from my designs. They loved them! The quilts had enough of the PB to match, but were made specifically for them by me.

And I agree with everyone else who has commented about needing extras -- you never know how much stuff a baby needs until you've got one! :lol:

Quiltin Lady- what a great idea! A coordinated quilt!

Woodster 05-19-2010 12:19 PM

Well, it is her choice as to what she wants to put in the nursery, but as many have said, she'll find out she'll need more than one quiltie for the babe. She'll probably ask you to make one down the line, or you can just give one as a 1st birthday gift.

In the meantime, how about some nice bibs or quilted burp pads (on one side)? Fun little quilted booties?

Sharoni 05-19-2010 12:56 PM

My grandson was expecting and I hoped it would be a girl because he loves the Razorback hogs and she loves red. I found an Olivia the pig panel and made a baby quilt from it, adorable, but alas, the baby is a boy.

quiltwoman 05-19-2010 01:19 PM

It's funny--my "baby" is 18 and I saved all the handmade blankets as keepsakes. The matching crib set fell apart over time. I am happy to remember all the memories of him with his "blankies" but I also think of all the loving people who made them for him.

I'd make one anyway :thumbup:
Just another thought...wait until the pottery barn stuff gets decorated with markers and crayons, and...STICKERS. I still have a dresser upstairs that I keep my extra fabric in and boy, oh boy, the stickers are still on it. LOL