Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My SIL would rather have a Pottery Barn quilt than homemade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sil-would-rather-have-pottery-barn-quilt-than-homemade-t46330.html)

G'ma Kay 05-19-2010 04:38 PM

The world is made up of many different kinds of people, some have ideals created by an upbringing that they wanted to "get past", feeling that money can buy class. Your SIL will kick herself one day when she matures, and understands that quilts made with love are priceless. Wait until the child is about 3 or 4 and then ask him what he would like, and give him his own gift for Christmas or a birthday.

Nanjun 05-19-2010 04:54 PM

Some people dont know how to be gracious and appreciative.

babyquilter 05-19-2010 05:02 PM

I make quilts for newborns and have never had one sent back! I don't even ask about the rom decor. I don't even care!

eleu16 05-19-2010 05:25 PM

There are poeple they don't appreciate handmade things.It looks like your sister belongs to them.
When I make a quilt (or other handcrafted things) for someone there is not only my work in it, I add my soul ,my love and thoughts about the benficiary so it is very personal.A pottery barn quilt is not personal, has no soul.

Pam 05-19-2010 05:34 PM

I wonder if she is being Ungracious, or just not knowing what you are offering. Hang in there, I loves her. The baby is just needing warm covers.

Pam 05-19-2010 05:40 PM

I have posted her a few times. After going back and reading, I am teary. Love is not limited by what others want, but by what we can give. I guess I am SO grateful that any quilt I have given was accepted with love, the same way it was gifted.

fktsewing 05-19-2010 05:56 PM

Just consider the fact that she has no taste. Instead of making one for her house, make one for yours and or maybe the Grandmas (if still living) Then make one for when the little one is 1 year old. I guarantee that the child will love it. I too have had people say oh thanks when I made them something and it hurts like heck,but I never do it for them again. Hugs to you---shame on her.

MaryAnna 05-19-2010 05:58 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your SIL's lack of style and her bad judgment. I agree with everyone else.... go ahead and make the quilt for the baby, yes they'll need more than one, but perhaps and more importantly, they might get a clue as to what 'family' means and how important these heirlooms are! Most of the younger generation haven't a clue as to what is valuable in this life....hopefully as they mature, that will change.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

N.J.linda 05-19-2010 06:04 PM

I made a quilt, matching bumpers, and dust ruffle for my first niece, but when my SIL was expecting my nephew she said she didn't want a quilt because her sister wanted to BUY a set for him. So many years later (14 TO BE EXACT) my nephew asked me why I made his younger brother and older sister a quilt but not him. So I explained that his aunt wanted to buy his for him. Then I took him with me to buy the material that he liked, and made him the quilt of his dreams (icicles all on point P.P. what was I thinking) and 5 years later he still loves it and took it to college with him.

Pam 05-19-2010 06:09 PM

They are afraid of SIDS, hang in there, the little guy is wanting to have a cover! I am scared that most Amerinan babies are cold!! they need a quilt!!