Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My turn! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-turn-t274828.html)

Mariposa 01-22-2016 02:14 PM

I'd lean towards the Pfaff. The table will come in handy. Love the Pfaff machines! Have never had any issues with mine~

Bree123 01-22-2016 02:21 PM

I took the Passport 2.0 for a test drive. It was a very nice machine. I really wanted a knee lift, though, so I ended up looking at the Bernina 215 & 350. I bought the 350 because it came with extra accessories for quilting, but I kinda wish that I would've gone with the 215 and picked my own accessories (for example, I'd prefer an open toed metal darning foot to the closed toe clear plastic one I got & the extension table it came with is curved and higher on the right than the left vs. a different one they sell separately that is clear acrylic and completely flat). Still, I'm very happy with it. It is easy to carry to classes/workshops and doesn't have a ton of features that I don't want/need but could still break and cost me money. I have the worst luck with those kind of things.

QuiltnLady1 01-22-2016 06:39 PM

My class machine is the Janome 3160 -- I had the Jems (Gold and Platinum)but the 3160 has most of the features of my big, heavy machine so the transition from one to the other is not difficult. I would use that as your guide since that makes it easier to sew in class.

Terry in the ADK 01-22-2016 07:22 PM

I have the BL Sophia and LOVE it! The embroidery attachment is very easy to use and may just let you take some embroidery classes because you CAN carry it to class. I think support, service and classes are deciding factors so if you are blessed enough to have two shops that offer these, you are truly blessed!

Marni 01-23-2016 05:22 AM

I like my Janome machines-but my next machine will be a Baby Lock. They are just awesome machines all 'round. Having said that-something very important is customer service-how close is your nearest dealer, and do they make you feel like a valued customer? The service would be my deciding factor if I didn't have a Baby Lock dealer in town

Marni 01-23-2016 05:24 AM

The Sophia is a dandy little machine-a good bang for your buck-and it is so easy to transport-and you might be surprised and want to do a bit of embroidery

Frances41 01-23-2016 05:24 AM

I have Pfaff machines also. I bough the Passport for classes and e. love it!!love it!! Others have used mine and love it also.

Reba'squilts 01-23-2016 05:52 AM

I have a 500 dollar brother sewing machine that I travel with. It is great! Has lots of extras and even threads the needle by itself! My granddaughter just got a brother from Walmarts to start off her sewing career. She found it to have many features and decorative stitches and cost about 200. These machines may not last a lifetime but sure are good little sewers. My brother is just a few pounds. Just piecing and sewing, no FMQ. Good luck with your search. You are getting lots of advice!

Lady Diana 01-23-2016 06:05 AM

Look at Janome. Great machines for less. Look for the feature you need in class.....thread cutter, needle up/down etc. ..and of course weight. Check out the Janome 4120.....I use this in class all the time.

caspharm 01-23-2016 06:33 AM

Have you seen the new Janome Dc3150 (?)? It replaces the Gem. I am at Road 2 California and just saw it. I believe it even comes with an extension table.