Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My turn! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-turn-t274828.html)

quiltin-nannie 01-22-2016 06:02 AM

My turn!

Didn't think I would ever be asking, but I have finally decided to break down and get a new machine, so need some advice. My embroidery machine is just too heavy to carry to sewing club and classes so I need to get something very light. I have arm and shoulder problems, so the lighter, the better. I have looked at several different brands of machines and have it narrowed down to Pfaff Passport 2.0 or the Babylock Sophia (it's an embroidery machine also, which I would never use). The Pfaff weighs 13 lbs and the Babylock 11 lbs. I do have a Pfaff machine that I got years and years ago, but it's too heavy to lug around. It's a great machine and has served me very well. It now sits under my sewing table collecting dust. Both machines are on sale (at different shops), at about the same price. The Sophia does not include an extension table, but the Pfaff dealer will throw one in for no charge. Both stores offer all the free lessons you want/need to learn the features. Both stores have great service at reasonable prices. Love the staff at both stores. They are not far apart, so getting to either one for service is not a problem. I would love to hear from Passport and Sophia owners with pros and cons about these machines. TIA!

Barb in Louisiana 01-22-2016 06:08 AM

Don't have any experience with either, but I would say that having the extension table would be something I would take into consideration. If you are not going to use the embroidery part, then pick the machine with the other best feature.

maryb119 01-22-2016 06:27 AM

I am a 'Pfaff' kind of girl myself. I have had a Pfaff for over 20 years and never had a bit of trouble with any of them. I had upgraded my machines and each time with another Pfaff. I have looked at a Passport myself and it seems to be another great machine. The extension table is a nice thing to have.

ManiacQuilter2 01-22-2016 07:21 AM

Just like when I shopped for a car, see what dealer is going to give the most "candy" such as throwing in three years of free service. Never hurts to ask and let them know you are also considering another machine. Good luck and hope you get the best bang for your hard earned dollar.

DOTTYMO 01-22-2016 08:27 AM

Have you thought about a trolley or even a suitcase with wheels the size of machine. These only require a lift from car to floor.

Onebyone 01-22-2016 08:28 AM

I think all new machines sew just fine, it's options that make it the machine you want. My must haves on a machine are needle up/down, auto thread cutter, and threader. The auto thread cutter is the first thing I test. And I test it a lot before buying.

imsewnso 01-22-2016 09:02 AM

Test, test, test. I agree what are they going to offer to sweeten the pot. Will the other dealer throw in an extension table?

tessagin 01-22-2016 09:08 AM

May want to check this out unless you really want a new machine for variety.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7441688)
Have you thought about a trolley or even a suitcase with wheels the size of machine. These only require a lift from car to floor.

quiltstringz 01-22-2016 09:45 AM

I have a passport and love it. However the table does not normally come with it and I think that you might really want it

sewbeadit 01-22-2016 02:08 PM

Janome Gem is a great little machine for classes.