Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My turn! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-turn-t274828.html)

Rennie 01-23-2016 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Marni (Post 7442541)
The Sophia is a dandy little machine-a good bang for your buck-and it is so easy to transport-and you might be surprised and want to do a bit of embroidery

I agree. I bought the Sofia for the same reason...easier to transport. Sews great and quiet. You Will have embroidery ability even when Taking it to classes . I take mine to beach for my summer vacation. The extension table would not be a deciding factor for me.

DonnaPBradshaw 01-23-2016 08:36 AM

I would buy this machine! love my Janome!

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 7441992)
Janome Gem is a great little machine for classes.

quiltin-nannie 01-23-2016 08:44 AM

Well, after much debate (with myself!) I bought the Pfaff. I have no need for the embroidery on the Sophia, as I have an embroidery unit on my Viking Designer. I just liked the way it sewed, easy to program, not that you program anything; just push a button for what stitch you want. At the Sophia demonstration, I couldn't sew because the "embroidery foot was on the machine and I don't want to change it". I think all the feet I have for my old Pfaff will fit the new one. Thanks so much for all the advice and opinions! It's nice to get the feedback.

Snooze2978 01-23-2016 09:00 AM

I just ordered a Brother XR3140 from Costco as I also needed a lightweight machine I could put on my cutting table when working on the large borders and bindings. Wanted to be able to take it off if I needed the full cutting table so lightweight as I have arthritis in my hands. I wanted one with the needle up/dn, auto threading, a number of stitches and easy to get to those stitches when changing from one to another. I found I like this machine very much and it gives a perfect stitch for me no matter how thick of fabrics I put thru it. I liked it so much I bought another one for a gent I'm teaching how to make a quilt. Got his for $40 less one week after I ordered mine due to a special discount. I also find my Babylock feet work on the Brother machine which I have a walking foot I've never used so another plus for me. I still love my Viking D1 but having 2 for my use I can set one up for my piecing and the other for my apparel sewing.

Spent less that $200 with free shipping from Costco. Never thought I'd order a machine online like this but I'm happy with my purchase.

shasta5718 01-23-2016 09:15 AM

I also have a janome jem for classws and it work great. I also have Pfaffs and a babylock and love all of them.

Maureen NJ 01-23-2016 03:43 PM

I have a Bernina and it was also too heavy for taking to classes so I bought the Pfaff Passport when it first came out. I love it. It is so lightweight that I do tend to move it around the house and follow the sun. I have the extension table, a plus. Love the IDT. I do tend to use it mostly for piecing. The 1/4" foot with guide is perfect on the Pfaff. I never thought I needed the guide but it has made things easier. The only negative I find is that you have to unscrew two screws to get at the bobbin area to clean it. I find cleaning the lint on both my machines decreases my trips to the dealer for servicing. Good luck with your decision.

fangman 01-24-2016 10:25 AM

I have the Passport 2 and really love it. I also got it to take along with me. The even feed foot is great for piecing and quilting. By the time I put my other heavier,machine in a trolley it was too heavy to even lift into the car.
This machine I can carry easily.

SewSewGal 01-24-2016 12:38 PM

I have a Passport 2 and have upgraded to a 3 just because of the scissors feature LOVE THEM BOTH giving passport 2 to the granddaughter

koko 01-24-2016 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the passport 2.0 that I take to retreats and classes because it is lightweight and easy to carry. With its70 stitches I can do lots of decorative stitches too. I found a wonderful luggage type carrying case that was originally for scrap booking, was reduced significantly and use that for wheeling it wherever I want to go. The machine is sturdy enough that my two grands love using it with a little guidance from me. I Also have the pfaff 5.0...live that one too. Never any problems with either. Here is a photo of my wheelie case

sewroz 01-24-2016 02:32 PM

I don't have any experience with the Babylock but I do own the Passport and I can tell you I am so impressed with it. Beside it being my "take to retreat" machine I love the way it handles everything from light weight cotton to many layers of fabric and quilt batting when making purses. I just plows right through. You can't beat the IDT and it has all my favorite decorative and applique stitches. Only thing I wish it had is the auto needle lift. Other than that it's perfect as a light weight general quilting/piecing/sewing machine.