Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Wal-Mart fabric dept is... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-wal-mart-fabric-dept-t187223.html)

jaciqltznok 04-27-2012 04:44 AM

our here in Enid, OK is enlarging, and they put the yarn back over there too! BUT, still crappy fabric at prices I won't pay for it! THey did add a large amount of "costuming" fabrics too!

solstice3 04-27-2012 05:29 AM

We kept our fabric department by complaining. I guess that is one company that will listen.

reginalovesfabric 04-27-2012 05:41 AM

one of our walmart got the fabric dept back, the only problem is there is no one in that dept to cut it, I would cut it but don't know how to use the scanner

newbiequilter 04-27-2012 06:15 AM

Our local W-M has completely re-arranged the fabric dept. The cutting table used to be towards the back wall and now it is right on the main aisle. It looks as tho there is more fabric, but I doubt it. The shelves are jam packed (kinda like JoAnn's). There were no sales personnel to question, so that will have to wait for another visit. I did not have a lot of time to check it all out, but seems to me to be harder to find things. No arrangement by color, etc. Perhaps they are still in transition....

newbiequilter 04-27-2012 06:16 AM

Try cutting it and taking the bolt with you to check out. Let them figure it out.

ShowMama 04-27-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 5171290)
I was in a WalMart in Texas and they had fabric in carts too. I asked what was going on and the clerk told me they were completely redoing the fabric, bringing much more in. They had some of the better quilting fabric there and it was $7.98-8.98 a yard and it was beautiful fabric. So far, our local WalMart has done nothing about adding fabric. One of the clerks told me that all the quilters and sewers really complained and for once, someone listened. I know I sent about 2 letters via email to the corporate headquarters complaining about the lack of fabric.

Last weekend at the Walmart in Belton, Texas, there were stacks and stacks of bolts priced at $1.50 to $4.00 per yard (mostly cottons, but also some other fabric types). I asked the clerk if the prices were so low because they were getting rid of the fabric department. She said that no, they were just making room for lots more new fabric that was expected to come in over the next few weeks. Another clerk pointed to the tiered slanted shelves, and said "We're getting three more sets of shelves just like that one." Wow! I went in there to buy dog and cat food, and came out with a bag full of fabric!

mjhaess 04-27-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 5171150)
fixing up the area. I noticed the other day that they had most of the fabric in buggies (carts, lol) and I was hoping they weren't getting rid of the dept. I went today looking for the pellets for the weighted blanket, they didn't have any BUT they had redid the dept. Moved stuff around, added LOTS more thread and zippers. It looked so much more organized. It appears they are still working on it but yay for getting more stuff. I don't buy alot from the dept but it is nice to have for a quick trip for pins, batting, etc. They do have some nice fabric that I have bought before.

Most of the Wall-Marts in the Charleston SC area are bring back their fabric departments. They do seem to have some better quality fabric. It is good to have them back.

SUZAG 04-27-2012 06:56 AM

Ours "remodeled" also...I don't really like it and I don't see any more of the cheapy $1.50/yard fabric...some of that was good stuff! The bolts are more like a fabric section but they are placed so high that you can't see over them. I feel like I am in a maze...and trapped!

anniesews 04-27-2012 07:36 AM

We see th same reorganization going on in our store. Hope this means more fsbric and not less.

Marysewfun 04-27-2012 07:44 AM

Ours in Dallas, OR just remodeled and at least doubled (if not more) their fabric department and it is fabulous!! They are still putting stuff away, but aisles and aisles of good-looking fabrics, labeled for apparel, quilting, etc. They have added a complete embroidery center again, racks of sewing threads (reasonable), even expanded the crafts - - it feels more like going into Michael's now. And there was such a happy flutter and smiles yesterday between the customers and the ladies (I have known for years) that work there. It was really neat!! I am super happy. And they claim it is here to stay!!! Thank you, Walmart :-)