Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mystery Quilts - have you done any ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mystery-quilts-have-you-done-any-t179790.html)

sharon b 02-18-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by crafty3236 (Post 4985978)
ok
so not being on here for to long What is a Mystery Quilt? I see Quilters talking about them, so now I ask!

Crafty a mystery quilt is one where you don't know what it will look like until you are almost done- so you pick out fabrics according to the first step not knowing if the fabric really will all work together- but I have found that the steps get broken down to the basics , so I end up doing quilt tops that if I had just seen the picture would never have tried because they look so difficult :)

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sandyms (Post 4985340)
Love your top!!! The colors are great!! From which website did you get this??

This was the Super Bowl Sunday quilt that I designed and hosted here. There is one in the works for April 14h & 15th and the details will be in the Blocks of the Month category as soon as I get some details worked out.

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric (Post 4985370)
I also did the Super Bowl Sunday one and enjoyed it - however I have to say that I couldn't do it that day because of something else going on and I did cheat and saw what it looked like first - but in my defense, I had downloaded the directions and did intend on making it...
There will be another one that is a larger quilt and will be a weekend mystery. I'm thinking of maybe doing that one as well since I enjoyed the first one so much.

Yes, I am working on a new mystery adventure called "Blue Sky's". for April 14th and 15th As soon as I work out some details, the thread will be in the blocks of the month category.

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 4985921)
I love this quilt. Is it too late to get the pattern from somewhere?
Dina

I am working to get the directions into one file. As soon as I have that done, I will let everyone know.

sharon b 02-18-2012 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lets see what pics I can find [ATTACH=CONFIG]313197[/ATTACH] These were the 4 Super Bowl Quilts we did as a group :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]313202[/ATTACH] And my News Years day Mystery

sharon b 02-18-2012 09:52 AM

Anna- I love them both - but the first one WOW :shock: Was it hard or did they break the steps down really well ?

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 4986089)
I like to pick my colors according to the quilt and Mystery Quilts keep that a mystery, and that drives me crazy. I guess I don't really like surprises. I've done one Mystery Quilt and would have chosen different fabrics had I known what it would end up being like. I guess I'm not a fan of Mystery Quilts.

I can certainly understand that feeling! There have been mysteries that I have done that I want to take and chuck the result in the trash, but then there are others that are wonderful! There have been ones that I have not liked the fabrics, but redone them in different colors and have fallen in love with them. It depends on how the fabric requirements are written and then how they are interpreted by the player. A mystery quilt is not so much about the quilt as the fact that you are doing it with friends, learning a new technique, chatting, eating, having fun with others that enjoy the same passions that you do. If it was all about the quilt, I wouldn't do them at all!

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 4985952)
I did two quilts and one mystery bag.

Anna, I love the 1st one! (2nd one is great also) but the 1st one is is intriguing! Where and when was this hosted and do you know if the instructions are still available?

Being the designer of the mystery quilts, I am always looking at other mystery quilt instructions and how they are written to make sure that I give the most information I can with each clue without giving away the final answer. This one looks difficult, but I know it may have been really easy.

rainbow quilter 02-18-2012 10:00 AM

I'm doing my first one now - the 3-part McCall's Mystery quilt. I've loved the process so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the final result

Fabriclovr 02-18-2012 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my New Years Day Mystery Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]313208[/ATTACH]