Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

Lorikeet 02-10-2011 12:41 PM

Mine died Tuesday. Drat! Went to Wallmart and the only one they had that didn't shut itself off (which I find really anoying)was a $10 cheepie from Proctor Silex. It has NO frills but I just cranked it up and it seems to do the job!
I do like the wind up cord storage models, but they did not have any without auto shut off. I did find an oversized wide ironing board (made in USA!) for $40 which I think will help with the stability issues I was having....iron kept crashing off when the darling kitty jumped up to see what was going on.
Good luck on your search.

libber 02-10-2011 01:13 PM

What brand of over-size ironing board made in the USA did you find?

sewtruterry 02-10-2011 08:33 PM

I had 2 Rowentas that I had repair many times. One that I used and the other in the shop being repaired. I finally gave up and got a gravity feed iron with a teflon shoe. Best money that I spent. Around $150.00 but it has a 1 1/4 gallon tank for water and will put in or take out any wrinkle there is and then some. I have had it for almost 5 years and only recently replaced the teflon shoe. Also I can iron on velvet and not have to use a pressing cloth or anything. It is a Consew and I know that if the heating element ever goes out in it I can easily replace it myself for around $15.00.

Lorikeet 02-10-2011 08:46 PM

It's a Wall Mart brand "Mainstays" 48 x 18 "wide-top" and it's really tall too! Ajustable to up to 39" which is fabulous for us tall gals. Seems to be very stable.

vschieve 02-10-2011 08:57 PM

Thanks for sharing that info. Will have to check it out.

Originally Posted by Lorikeet
It's a Wall Mart brand "Mainstays" 48 x 18 "wide-top" and it's really tall too! Ajustable to up to 39" which is fabulous for us tall gals. Seems to be very stable.

ConnieF 02-11-2011 02:49 AM

Not heard the best on the Oleso. Had a Black-N-Decker auto shut off and hated it. I always had to wait for it to re heat. Love the Rowentas I have had. Still using my older one and have a new one in a box not used yet. Also have the gererator one can't remeber the name but it was almost $400 but had for 8 or 9 years and still going strong, got it to iron all my dh shirts, love the extra steam cuts the ironing time in half. I also have a cheaper on I leave in my camper trailer was like $12.99 at WalMart. I think you just have to try diff ones and what your budget will allow. But I really like the Rowentas and I will say I had to have the steam tank replaced on the first on for it leaked, but was fine with the new tank. Have the new one in the box and the one I am using is at least 10 years old...

qnana 02-11-2011 05:58 PM

Well, I took the largest consensus vote and bought a B&D at Walmart this pm. I opted for the $20 model that has the stainless steel plate. I like the weight, and it has a larger surface. I don't like cut off feature, but it is 8 min. when left on the rest, and that seems do-able to me. I also didn't much love the green color, but figured I could live with it. ( : The blue one was just too small for general ironing for me. Would have been great for small pieces, but I need to iron DH shirts, too.
I also bought a small table top board that was wide, and a great size, but it was all made in China, I hate, hate to say.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. Unless I post back with tears, it will all be happy!

Billyjo5 02-15-2011 07:04 AM

Never though about the water bottle, I hate the spewing and sputtering when I put the water in the iron