Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

Dottie Bug 02-09-2011 07:55 PM

I bought a sunbeam iron at a yard sale in 1972 ,and it still works like a dream. had the cord replaced cleaned up the face plate, no steam though,, but no holes to get caught on the seams. so i have a spray bottle also. i have a shark by uro-pro. and i like this one i use it all the time it has the automatic shut off ... i have a rowenta i dont use it dosnt get hot enough. Dottie Bug anyone want the rowenta will sale it .

auntiehenno 02-09-2011 07:59 PM

I have a cheap iron from Wal greens. It is light and costly ones too heavy.

galvestonangel 02-09-2011 08:02 PM

I have a Rowenta which it O K but not on my great list. I bought a Shark at a garage sale and loved it. It bit the dust probably after getting dropped too many times. I am going to try the cheap B&D that everyone is talking about, I like a light iron. I did have a Oreck cordless and donated it, way too heavy.

Maura 02-09-2011 08:07 PM

I had a specialty iron, can't remember the name, but you couldn't stand it on the heel, you had to put it on it's special rubber mat. Heavy and awkward. Grrr. I now have a Procter Silex and like the Creative Seamstress, I prefer it. I think I've had it three years. It's light and turns off automaticly. It also heats up fast and I paid less than $15 at KMart for it.

almostfree 02-09-2011 08:11 PM

We got an Oreck sweeper a few years ago, and they gave us an iron for free. I just got it out of the box and started using it last week. So far I like it, and it can be cordless or not, depending on how you flip a switch.

cheryl rearick 02-09-2011 10:06 PM

I use a cheap one from Wal-mart, seems to work find even after 7 years.

OneMoreQuilt 02-09-2011 10:08 PM

I have to say I love my Rowenta. I have very hard water and it takes it without a problem. I agree with getting a stainless sole-plate rather than a teflon sole-plate. Good luck deciding. Purses and irons are the two hardest things for me to make a decision on!!!

Iamquilter 02-09-2011 10:37 PM

I have an Oliso and like it for the fact that it pops up because I had a tendency to leave it set and scorch my ironing board cover. I never put water in it becasue I use the spray bottle if I need water.

janie3954 02-10-2011 06:44 AM

I bought a new Rowenta in November ( after I knocked my old one off the board and broke it), it quit working in December. Takeing it back this weekend to Macys (store is 200 miles away) Using an old B&D now, but its not heavy enough. I don't know what to get. Irons are such an important part of quilting. I don't remember having this problem when irons were made in the USA.

Magoosmom 02-10-2011 11:18 AM

Just my 2 cents worth, get something between 10 and 15 dollars like I did at Wallmart. Mine is still working great after 6 years,and also the steam works. I had 4 girls who all used it for school, church, and friends. Seems to be the cheaper the better. Wouldn't change mine for anything even though I thought about it once!