Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

libber 02-09-2011 04:27 PM

I did not have success with Rowenta ( the Costco model) it would not get warm enough on 'linen' so I bought another Sunbeam with all the bells and whistles.

raynhamquilter 02-09-2011 04:31 PM

I like my B&D so much I went and bought another one and put it away for the day (hopefully years from now) that I need to replace it! It's the Digital Advantage.

ontheriver 02-09-2011 04:41 PM

I needed a new iron a couple months ago. Bought a
shark for about 30.00. It irons great but the auto shutoff drives me crazy. Went to thrift shop, bought an old Sunbeam for 3.00, works great, stays on.

Rann 02-09-2011 04:49 PM

I like my Black and Decker.

Janet Espeleta 02-09-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
I would not recommend the Oliso...My son gave me one for Christmas 3 years ago, had to send it back, and the 2nd one gave me problems as well..and it bit the dust here about 5 months ago...Way to expensive to have such a short life......Plus I've known three other people that had the same complaints as me....I'm interested to see what others recommend as well...

San
FL

I had problems with my Oliso iron also & the co refused to do anything about it! They said they needed to see a copy of the receipt before they could honor the warranty. I am not in the habit of keeping receipts for stuff I buy at a quilt store or show so I was not able to provide that. In my opinion that should have had no bearing on honoring the warranty whatsoever. What if it had been given to me as a gift? Mine would suddenly go up & down several times & then stay down. A co-worker said it must have started having seizures! Never again would I ever buy anything from that company!

IBQUILTIN 02-09-2011 06:44 PM

My Rowenta went belly up, so I went to consumer reports to check on what's out there. They recommended the Black & Decker, that's what I got, and I love it. Has a nice weight so I don't feel like I am pushing on it. It gets hot enough to do the job, and has a nice sized surface for doing large pieces of yardage. Go Black and Decker!!!!!Oh, and it was only $26.00

lynnsv 02-09-2011 06:50 PM

I guess I'm in the minority-I like my Rowenta! But what I like more is the fiberglass ironing board cover I bought at a quilt show 6 years ago. It reflects the heats and I keep my iron at the same setting no matter what the fabric. I can iron satin, then cotton and then denim and never change the setting. Plus my iron doesn't get anything on the plate. It takes some getting used to because the fiberglass is slippery. I made all the dresses for two of my daughters' weddings and never scorched a thing!!
Oh it's called miracle ironing board cover by measurematic, inc.

cookiej36 02-09-2011 06:52 PM

I have the Black and Decker Classic and I love it! This is my 3rd one. You know they'll only take so many hits and I'm bad about bumping the ironing board and knocking it off. It's a good heavy (but not too heavy) weight and it gets hot without have to turn it all the way to the linen setting. I also don't use water in my irons, starch only for me. I use Faultless Premium Starch and it seems to make the iron glide over the fabric with no build up at all.
Next time though, I think I will try to find a used iron as I hate the auto shut off feature!

KSue 02-09-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by qnana
What kind of iron do you like best? My general purpose iron died this morning, and I need to choose a new one. I want a good one that will steam as well as dry iron. Since all quilters iron fabric all the time I know you will have good input! :wink:

About 15 years ago I purchased a cheap iron from Walgreens or some place like that. It just failed last month. I purchased a $12.00 Black & Decker from Target. So far so good. I do a lot of dry ironing and when I want steam I can add distilled water or my usual standby-my spray water bottle.

gail Thibeau 02-09-2011 07:47 PM

I love my new Rowena pro master. I just hope it lasts. My last iron was a Maytag cordless and I hated it. It never steamed right and my new one does.