Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

QuilterChick 02-09-2011 08:40 AM

I absolutely love my Sunbeam "Drip-Free" which is truly drip free and comfy to use; and going on 6 years now with never a problem. It does have the auto off which I need because if the phone rings.... well, you know how we are. Bought it at WMart, about $40.

Have had 2 Rowentas German made ... both croaked, leaked and sputtered. Never again.

Dianne1 02-09-2011 08:43 AM

Bought a Rowents she has leaked from day one would reccomend anything that you feel is in your price range.

Jeananne 02-09-2011 09:05 AM

After my iron died last year my hubby went to Walmart and bought me a Shark, I absolutely love this iron, have had no trouble with. It was about $20 something, but so far very worth it!

Homespun 02-09-2011 09:44 AM

I agree with the cheap irons. They stay hot--don't shut off every 5 minutes. I don't use water either--spray bottle does it.

Momo 02-09-2011 10:03 AM

I have the same Norelco e-z steam for at least 10 years. I use only distilled water in it. It is serving well.
It seems that the distilled water makes a great difference in the life of irons.

vschieve 02-09-2011 10:30 AM

I found a Rowenta in a 2nd hand store that was an older model and barely used. Looked brand new; paid $20 for it and it is wonderful. Also have an old Sunbeam that I love.

vschieve 02-09-2011 10:50 AM

I also found an antique small iron, perfect for quilting classes, etc. No steam; I use Perfect Sizing anyway. THis little iron is a Toastmaster that just gets nice and hot and irons; no steam, no shut-off, is there hot when I want it and is great for my little sewing station in classes. It is that Harvest Gold color that many appliances like refrigerators, washers, etc. came in so that should tell you the era. Go figure! Anyway paid $5 at an estate sale a few months ago. Was in a quilting class two weeks ago at a LQS, and the iron provided was that Oliseo which I had never seen or heard of, much less used. I started out pressing out my background fabric and low and behold when that thing jumped I thought what on earth is this new contraption?? I can see though where someone could get really dependent upon that feature as someone borrowed another lady's iron and ironing pad and left it down, forgeting it was not the Oliso.

vschieve 02-09-2011 10:52 AM

[quote=vschieve]I also found an antique small iron, perfect for quilting classes, etc. No steam; I use Perfect Sizing anyway. THis little iron is a Toastmaster that just gets nice and hot and irons; no steam, no shut-off, is there hot when I want it and is great for my little sewing station in classes. It is that Harvest Gold color that many appliances like refrigerators, washers, etc. came in so that should tell you the era. Go figure! Anyway paid $5 at an estate sale a few months ago. Was in a quilting class two weeks ago at a LQS, and the iron provided was that Oliseo which I had never seen or heard of, much less used. I started out pressing out my background fabric and low and behold when that thing jumped I thought what on earth is this new contraption?? I can see though where someone could get really dependent upon that feature as someone borrowed another lady's iron and ironing pad and left it down, forgeting it was not the Oliso. Needless to say there was a scorch.

BRenea 02-09-2011 11:26 AM

My newest iron is a Reliable...quite expensive but nice features for quilters. It's the best iron I've had so far, and I've had two Euro Pros and a Rowenta.

Nolee 02-09-2011 12:27 PM

Just don't get a Sunbeam Steam Master Drip Free. It is hard to fill (overflows easily) and isn't heavy enough to get rid of wrinkles no matter how high you put the temp. I'd never buy another Sunbeam. Wish I had my Mom's old iron.