Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

carolynjo 02-09-2011 12:41 PM

I agree! I have had 2 B&D irons over the past 25 years; just had to replace both of them with another B&D from KMart. Good irons.

sewgarden 02-09-2011 01:11 PM

Mine is a Sunbeam. I know our brands will be different to yours but I just bought the cheapest one on the shelf last week. It steams nicely as well as dry irons, doesn't have auto cut off, which is a nuisance when patchworking, has a 2 year replacement guarantee and cost $36. I've had the expensive irons and don't think they are worth the money.

margaret53 02-09-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2
I have had two Rowentas. The first one lasted 10 years and never gave me any problems. That was the reason I bought my second one. This one leaks. I have an cheap one in my closet and may get it down and start using it. I do like the auto shut off as I use to find my iron on in the morning after a night of sewing. :( Now I have my iron plugged into a power strip and also have a night light plugged into the power strip. If the night light is on as I leave my sewing studio, then I know I have left the iron on.

Same here. I loved my first Rowenta and had it forever. I have bought a couple since then, and they just didn't last!

sak658 02-09-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by qnana
What kind of iron do you like best? My general purpose iron died this morning, and I need to choose a new one. I want a good one that will steam as well as dry iron. Since all quilters iron fabric all the time I know you will have good input! :wink:

I have a Black and Decker light and easy, got it at Walmart, just love it. Lots of good steam and light weight. Gets really hot etc. swivel cord and long.

redeagle 02-09-2011 02:50 PM

My sister cruises yard sales and always buys the old irons that get hot. When it dies she tosses it and finds another old one. She says it is worth a couple of bucks at a yard sale for the old ones that get hot.

ktmo815 02-09-2011 02:56 PM

I've had my Rowenta for about 12 years & never had a problem with it - although I know others on here have had problems with theirs leaking

joeyoz 02-09-2011 03:31 PM

I have a T-Fal. Love it. Works great. I also have an Oliso and I love mine. Have never had trouble with it yet.

kanakama 02-09-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Creative Seamstress
You know, honestly - for the longest time I thought I wanted a really pricey Rowenta or an Oliso after using each that friends had, but I found an awesomely cheap all purpose Proctor Silex iron at Kmart for $9.99 and it has outperformed every other iron I've used. Name brand and pricey one's don't always mean everything. I am now very glad I saved all that money (well over $100) by buying this cheap one. It's awesome!

I did the same thing. Bought a Rowenta and it was awful. Didn't keep temp on dry and spit with steam. Finally found a Black & Decker at Target for 11.99 and I love it! No need to spend big bucks.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

fabricesta 02-09-2011 04:21 PM

I got a pricey one for Christmas and thought it was too heavy. Took it back and got a Sunbeam from WalMart for 10.00 and like it a lot.

jitkaau 02-09-2011 04:23 PM

Don't know if you have the same brands there - I have a number of irons - the best two are Phillips (headquarters originally in Holland) and Tefal, which is made in France.