Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

Shunem 02-08-2011 02:34 PM

My DH recently bought me a Reliable after my Rowenta (of 23 years) died. It cost too much, but it had lovely pressurized steam and a nice long cord---I really like it.

cathylynn 02-08-2011 03:19 PM

my black & decker works fine for me. no overheating and doesn't shut off automatically. it also has a long cord which has come in handy. I think I paid $15.00 for it about 5 years ago.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-08-2011 03:22 PM

I have a cheapo Panasonic and love it! Got the expensive one and it didn't hold up. No more extra spending for me!

Scissor Queen 02-08-2011 03:47 PM

My small guild buys irons for everybody to use on sewing days. We have gone thru a whole bunch of irons in the cheap range and then moved up to the mid price range. So far the one everybody has liked the best is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I think it's full retail price is around $70 but you can get it a whole lot cheaper on Amazon.

Teflon coated irons don't get as hot as stainless steel irons to prevent the teflon from off gassing and killing birds.

slstitcher 02-08-2011 03:47 PM

I have a rowenta and the next one I get will be a B&D. My rowenta leaks and the cord will not retract anymore. It gets hot but I am disappointed in the quality. I got my mom one just like it and the steam quit and now she is on to some other kind.

sewdarnbusy 02-08-2011 03:50 PM

go get a cheap one... every brand has lemons, can't count on a good iron, just because it's a brand name.

SuzanneG 02-08-2011 04:23 PM

I have a Rowenta that I got for a gift two years ago. I really do love it, but it's HEAVY. I like a very hot iron, but one that's also light weight. So I'm going back to my good old Black & Decker when this one bites the dust. And I agree with the poster regarding steam irons. I use a water bottle, never put water IN my iron. Every time I have in the past, it seemed to hasten the irons demise.

k9dancer 02-08-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Creative Seamstress
You know, honestly - for the longest time I thought I wanted a really pricey Rowenta or an Oliso after using each that friends had, but I found an awesomely cheap all purpose Proctor Silex iron at Kmart for $9.99 and it has outperformed every other iron I've used. Name brand and pricey one's don't always mean everything. I am now very glad I saved all that money (well over $100) by buying this cheap one. It's awesome!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

I second the Proctor Silex. Great steam and sturdy.

Cybrarian 02-08-2011 04:32 PM

I have an Oliso and love it. I only use sterile water in it. Florida water is death on everything too many minerals and Hard.

CloverPatch 02-08-2011 04:41 PM

I am sitting here looking at my Iron. I just finished using it. I use it quite often!
I am happy to say Mine is a Black and Decker. I have had this iron since 1996 when I got it as a wedding present! So it is 15 yrs young and works as well as when I first got it.
It is a little banged up, it can definitly take a punch. Daughter is wanting to replace it which is why we came to your thread. The plastic is cracked from a few to many falls.
If she makes me replace it, I would probally go with another B&D