Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need To Choose A New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-choose-new-iron-t97898.html)

qnana 02-08-2011 05:32 PM

Thank you all! Quick question, do the B&D and the Proctor Silex inexpensive models work without steam too?
I can't find anything on line that says whether or not they will work either way.

CloverPatch 02-08-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by qnana
Thank you all! Quick question, do the B&D and the Proctor Silex inexpensive models work without steam too?
I can't find anything on line that says whether or not they will work either way.

Mine works with or without steam, there is a little button thing. I hardly ever use the stem option though.

koko 02-08-2011 05:40 PM

I must have the same B&D iron that others have...a must have on it is the auto shut off which is a good safety feature for me

spartan quilter 02-08-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Creative Seamstress
You know, honestly - for the longest time I thought I wanted a really pricey Rowenta or an Oliso after using each that friends had, but I found an awesomely cheap all purpose Proctor Silex iron at Kmart for $9.99 and it has outperformed every other iron I've used. Name brand and pricey one's don't always mean everything. I am now very glad I saved all that money (well over $100) by buying this cheap one. It's awesome!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

Which gave you money to add to the stash. I am always looking for ways to save money, so I can invest in materials.

rexie 02-08-2011 08:08 PM

I would suggest one that doesn't turn itself off in 30 seconds. Just about the time you get something folded under...beep, beep, beep and off!

Edie 02-09-2011 03:32 AM

I got a Sunbeam at our grocery store for $10.00. It is a steam/dry. it does turn off after about 20 minutes, but when that happens it heats up really fast and I am back to ironing again. This is probably the best one I have ever had. Oh, yah, I got it for 50% off. I am a % off kind of gal!!!!!!!!! I even got AsperCreme at Walgreen's yesterday for 25% off! Never buy anything unless it has a number and a per cent sign after it!!!! Edie

Nanamoms 02-09-2011 03:59 AM

I had an Oreck cordless and it never seemed to get hot enough. I gave it to my brother and he loves it...been abour 5 years now so it much be a good iron (for him!)

I have been thru 3 Rowentas. They always start leaking on me.

I actually keep 2 irons going...the Rowenta for steaming and a $10 non-brand travel iron for dry ironing. I also found a Sunbeam on sale for $5.00 which I use for other types of crafts so in case it gets ruined, I won't cry. :(

Originally Posted by llcox
One feature I look for in an iron is it must be cordless. I had one that was great until I dropped it and cracked the casing and the water leaked. Now I have a Panasonic and am very happy with it.

Marge L. 02-09-2011 04:31 AM

My best iron is the one my son had in college 30+ yrs. ago. Think it will be going out of the house soon though. The cord is wearing so that will have to ditch it for safety sake. One of those cords built into the iron and cannot be replaced. Imagine he gave very little for it at that time.

didi 02-09-2011 04:31 AM

I have a rowenta and love it, but also have the black and decker which is a real good iron. I'd go for the B&D iron. To many people have bad luck with the rowenta iron.

quilt3311 02-09-2011 04:35 AM

I have a "cheap" black and decker iron and it works well for me.