Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Ideas for a Vanishing Design Wall or just a Design Wall? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-vanishing-design-wall-just-design-wall-t124136.html)

CorgiNole 05-19-2011 06:42 AM

I use a flannel backed table cloth. Currently it gets spread out on my bed - but in the future, I plan to tack it to the wall.

I do have a couple tubes that my son insisted on taking home with him from Mary Jo's in Gastonia that I could use to roll the vinyl onto if I ever decide it needs to be rolled.

For now, I can carefully fold or roll my work if I need to put it to one side along the way.

Cheers, K

seamstome 05-19-2011 07:00 AM

I have the vanishing design wall. I love it EXCEPT it doesnt roll evenly and every once in awhile I get it stuck down. Hubby has to come in to do something to get it to roll up again.

To be fair to them, my wall isnt exactly square and I hung it so that the shelf would line up with my ceiling. Otherise it was so obvious that the wall was not square that I could not look at it. Maybe if I had hung it better, it would roll better.

My major complaint with the company is the shipping. It was outrageous.

QuiltE 05-19-2011 07:02 AM

There was a really good thread not too long ago with LOTS of design wall ideas. Sorry, I don't have the link ... I know you are the Mistress of Search! :)

One that I've since seen done, was covering sliding closet doors with the gridded flannel. The doors still slide even with fabric on them. While not a disappearing option, it's out of the way.

Would this work for you, Crafty?

Maggiemay 05-19-2011 07:11 AM

I saw somewhere (here probably!)a design wall someone had done- she used 2 over-the-door wreath hangars over a door and hung a rod on the hangars. You attach your design surface (flannel backed tablecloth, flannel, batting- whatever you choose to use) to the rod. I liked it because you could roll up the wall part & take down the hangars when it's not in use. Can't find the link though, sorry!

craftiladi 05-19-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sallie789
Have you seen these? They have one at my local quilt shop. It's basically a pull down shade. You could probably make it quite easily with a shade from somewhere like Home Depot.

http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com/

I really like that idea.

QuiltE 05-19-2011 08:25 AM

I just looked at that link ... how about using a wall quilt rack? Take down your quilt and put up some flannel.
Not as simple and easy as the "official" vanishing one ... would do the job if you have a quilt rack already or didn't have the space for installing the other. Besides would save $$ to spend on your stash! :)

craftybear 05-19-2011 03:50 PM

yes, where would I buy the gridded flannel, hummm

Originally Posted by QuiltE
There was a really good thread not too long ago with LOTS of design wall ideas. Sorry, I don't have the link ... I know you are the Mistress of Search! :)

One that I've since seen done, was covering sliding closet doors with the gridded flannel. The doors still slide even with fabric on them. While not a disappearing option, it's out of the way.

craftybear 05-19-2011 03:51 PM

Leota,

Please post here on the board what you just came up with as she sent me a private message

I will let her explain it to everyone!

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Leota
I did some pricing...
Home Depot has a 73.25 inch x 72 inch roller shade for less than $25

The price for the shelf would depend on if you bought plank board or ply-wood

Fabric.com has 108 inch wide flannel for about $9.

I don't know what vanishing design wall charges but I thing I can make one cheeper :D

QuiltE 05-19-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
yes, where would I buy the gridded flannel, hummm

Originally Posted by QuiltE

I hadn't seen it til I went for my OBW course, and the LQS sells it. and I'd never seen it before at any of the other LQS's! It was a white flannelette, grid would be 2" apart in a blue pattern. Sure was nice to help set blocks on and keep it squared up and straight as you went along the way. I know there was a post on the Boards not too long ago ,where someone used it on their sliding closet doors and I'm pretty sure they were in the USA. Probably on the thread that had so many design wall ideas.

Elise1 05-19-2011 05:50 PM

I put 4 medium Command picture hanging strips on a wall and hung a lightweight piece of cotton batting on the strips. They grab the batting like velcro. That is it. It works great as a design wall.

When not in use, I take the batting down and you don't even notice the Command strips on the white wall.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...beF0GFSQ26BSgl

Elise