Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-t152633.html)

Justlucy 09-13-2011 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Need to know how to put together a quilt that is made of blocks I have embroidered and then in between them added a 2" strip. I cannot get them so that they all line up and look straight as I go down thru the quilt. How do I do that? Can anyone give me some help on how to line them up down thru. I have a partial picture of where I started.

just_the_scraps_m'am 09-13-2011 07:25 AM

basically work from the wrong side, using a straight edge, mark on the sashing where the block above meets it, then do the same with blocks below sashing.

if you need pictures--send me PM with an email address i can send you a pdf file that explains it.

janedee 09-13-2011 07:37 AM

thats something else new I have learned!!!

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
basically work from the wrong side, using a straight edge, mark on the sashing where the block above meets it, then do the same with blocks below sashing.

if you need pictures--send me PM with an email address i can send you a pdf file that explains it.

:lol:

gzuslivz 09-13-2011 07:46 AM

First, make sure that each block measures the same size. Then cut the sashing the same width and add it between the blocks. You now have columns of blocks. Add the sashing in a long strip up and down. Using the method just_the_scraps_m'am wrote, line up your columns together and sew them up. Everything should line up just right. Good luck and post a pic when you are done. We would love to see the finished product.

Tartan 09-13-2011 07:54 AM

As gzuslivz said, first check the size. If they are all equal you should be able to get them to line up, pin, pin, pin. If they are not exactly the same size, consider changing your design. I would off set the blocks instead of lining them up, kind of like a brick pattern.

Tinabodina 09-13-2011 07:55 AM

Measure 10 times and cut once!

nativetexan 09-13-2011 07:56 AM

and if they are still off a bit when you go to quilt the quilt, do curved lines,not straight.

just_the_scraps_m'am 09-13-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
As gzuslivz said, first check the size. If they are all equal you should be able to get them to line up, pin, pin, pin. If they are not exactly the same size, consider changing your design. I would off set the blocks instead of lining them up, kind of like a brick pattern.

if they're not all the same IDENTICAL size, you COULD either cut a smidgeon off to make smaller OR center it so that it doesn't LOOK too much off the mark...
if the block is too SMALL, you could either add a tiny strip on one or both sides to make it larger OR add a small section of sashing....there's more than one way to skin a ....quilt....

Justlucy 09-13-2011 10:30 AM

I sure try to get them all the same size....they are all 6" blocks. I always remeasure but seems I am never right on the money when it comes to sewing. I try to always use the same width stitching seam, I don't know just a wee problem for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Justlucy 09-13-2011 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the finished top piece of my quilt that you helped me with. I worked on this all day and believe with your help it looks pretty good. Christmas quilts are a learning experience. This is the Nite Before Christmas, 30 blocks.