Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help!

Blog Entries
    Need to know how to put together a quilt that is made of blocks I have embroidered and then in between them added a 2" strip. I cannot get them so that they all line up and look straight as I go down thru the quilt. How do I do that? Can anyone give me some help on how to line them up down thru. I have a partial picture of where I started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    basically work from the wrong side, using a straight edge, mark on the sashing where the block above meets it, then do the same with blocks below sashing.

if you need pictures--send me PM with an email address i can send you a pdf file that explains it.

thats something else new I have learned!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    basically work from the wrong side, using a straight edge, mark on the sashing where the block above meets it, then do the same with blocks below sashing.

if you need pictures--send me PM with an email address i can send you a pdf file that explains it.
    :lol:

First, make sure that each block measures the same size. Then cut the sashing the same width and add it between the blocks. You now have columns of blocks. Add the sashing in a long strip up and down. Using the method just_the_scraps_m'am wrote, line up your columns together and sew them up. Everything should line up just right. Good luck and post a pic when you are done. We would love to see the finished product.

Power Poster
    As gzuslivz said, first check the size. If they are all equal you should be able to get them to line up, pin, pin, pin. If they are not exactly the same size, consider changing your design. I would off set the blocks instead of lining them up, kind of like a brick pattern.

Measure 10 times and cut once!

Blog Entries
    and if they are still off a bit when you go to quilt the quilt, do curved lines,not straight.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    As gzuslivz said, first check the size. If they are all equal you should be able to get them to line up, pin, pin, pin. If they are not exactly the same size, consider changing your design. I would off set the blocks instead of lining them up, kind of like a brick pattern.
    if they're not all the same IDENTICAL size, you COULD either cut a smidgeon off to make smaller OR center it so that it doesn't LOOK too much off the mark...
    if the block is too SMALL, you could either add a tiny strip on one or both sides to make it larger OR add a small section of sashing....there's more than one way to skin a ....quilt....

Blog Entries
    I sure try to get them all the same size....they are all 6" blocks. I always remeasure but seems I am never right on the money when it comes to sewing. I try to always use the same width stitching seam, I don't know just a wee problem for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Here is the finished top piece of my quilt that you helped me with. I worked on this all day and believe with your help it looks pretty good. Christmas quilts are a learning experience. This is the Nite Before Christmas, 30 blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BEAUTIFUL! We knew you could do it.

Blog Entries
    Looks like you mastered it. Wow, all that embroidery looks like a lot of work and I can certainly understand you wanting it to turn out perfect. Great quilt

Great job!!

Wonderful quilt!!! You did a great job.

Kat

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the wonderful praise, sometimes we need it. I hope my granddaughter will love it also.

I love this! See? You did great!!! I have been making quilts since '97 and sometimes I will still have an issue. Yours looks wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    First, make sure that each block measures the same size. Then cut the sashing the same width and add it between the blocks. You now have columns of blocks. Add the sashing in a long strip up and down. Using the method just_the_scraps_m'am wrote, line up your columns together and sew them up. Everything should line up just right. Good luck and post a pic when you are done. We would love to see the finished product.
    Yeah, did you square the blocks before you sewed them to the sashing, they might be different sizes slightly

I would like a copy of that pdf file too please. I have some blocks from a swap that aren't "quite" the same size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justlucy
    Here is the finished top piece of my quilt that you helped me with. I worked on this all day and believe with your help it looks pretty good. Christmas quilts are a learning experience. This is the Nite Before Christmas, 30 blocks.
    NICE JOB I MEAN VERY NICE JOB SEE YOU CAN DO IT.IT JUST TAKES TIME AND PATIENCE.

I think this is a measurement problem: the blocks have to be the same size and the sashing the same size.

Blog Entries
    wonderful.....it turned out wonderful... your grandaughter will love it and so will her children and her childrens' children............a legacy

Could you share with all of us the PDF and pictures. I have never heard of that either.

Looks good!
    I'm working on one now with the same problem!

Great job!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast