Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-iron-t287802.html)

patsan 04-26-2017 12:12 PM

They have a grey one at Costco.com. My daughter bought one from there and loves it.
If it ever breaks, you can always return it to Costco.

Battle Axe 04-28-2017 03:30 AM

I have a yellow Oliso and love it. There is a button on the very back that I believe disables the lift option. It's hot enough for my fingers and it is set on the second mark on cotton. It seems to love to be filled with distilled water.

Marcia

Karamarie 04-28-2017 04:14 AM

I just started using an Oliso. I'm not 100 percent sold on it yet. It does leak occasionally, I think it gets plenty hot. It takes a little getting used to the auto lift but I like that feature. One down side is you get so used to the auto lift that when you use another iron, you forget to set it up. I have the blue Oliso which is not quite as big or expensive.

Jakers1 04-28-2017 04:45 AM

One thing to check on any iron is the wattage. I believe 1800 is the highest you can get. I bought a Singer with 1700 wattage and it is great, no leaking and gets hot enough for me for less than $100.

Grannyh67 04-28-2017 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7812180)
expensive isn't always great. i've heard bad things and good things on almost every iron. some places have sales, good luck.

Well, I am one who had a bad experience with the one I owned, I had the yellow one, expensive, I paid 169.00 for it and loved it, it got hot enough and I thought this is my forever iron, well less than a year it was burned up. I was ironing and kept smelling something like hot wires, everything seemed ok at the time, then all of a sudden smoke rolled and it popped, it burned up right before my eyes. I talked to another lady at the Quilting Guild and She had the same iron and had the same experience. I loved the iron but will never buy an expensive iron again, I now own an iron I got from Savers for $2.10 and it works great, lol.....gets plenty hot and is a Sunbeam, love it.

Beachbaby12 04-28-2017 04:58 AM

I also heard good and bad things about the Oliso iron - I think it's rather expensive too. I think it would be nice to have one as I love the features.

Weezy Rider 04-28-2017 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 (Post 7813148)
Well, I am one who had a bad experience with the one I owned, I had the yellow one, expensive, I paid 169.00 for it and loved it, it got hot enough and I thought this is my forever iron, well less than a year it was burned up. I was ironing and kept smelling something like hot wires, everything seemed ok at the time, then all of a sudden smoke rolled and it popped, it burned up right before my eyes. I talked to another lady at the Quilting Guild and She had the same iron and had the same experience. I loved the iron but will never buy an expensive iron again, I now own an iron I got from Savers for $2.10 and it works great, lol.....gets plenty hot and is a Sunbeam, love it.

I had one that refused to shut off. The dial was defective, too. It was one of the yellow ones. I gave it to a friend who does automatically pull the plug and bought another Reliable. I wouldn't have even bought the Oliso if I could have found filters for the first Reliable I had.

I have an older Sunbeam that still works. It doesn't steam enough to suit me.

juliea9967 04-28-2017 05:30 AM

Oh! I think you should get her a cordless iron. I bought mine with the idea that I would see how I like it. I absolutely love it, and if it broke today I would immediately buy a new one. Remember how you felt the first time you used a cordless phone? I couldn't get used to the fact that I could move around where ever I wanted to. That feeling of freedom is exactly how I feel with my cordless iron. It makes a world of difference when you are using the iron. I really love it at home, and I brought it with me to use in our 5th wheel, and I really really love it now. I will never go back to a corded iron.

jcrow 04-28-2017 07:20 AM

I have a blue Oliso and I don't remember where I bought it but I paid $69 for it. It works great and doesn't leak or start fires or any other shady things :mad:

tessagin 04-28-2017 07:30 AM

I have an iron rest, actually one for each iron. I just slide it over. My mother always had an old gas stove grate she sat the iron on. We all had a tendency to knock it down or brush against it or not look and just grab it.