Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-rulers-t218665.html)

Quilt4u 04-09-2013 08:13 AM

New rulers

I sure do need new rulers. But there are so many out there . What do you use?

Kathy Osterby 04-09-2013 08:21 AM

I'm still waiting until I can get Eleanor Burns 1/2 square triangle ruler but it's so much fun looking at all of them even if you really don't "need" them.

gigi712 04-09-2013 08:23 AM

Creative Grids all the way! They are easy to see and grip the fabric like no other ruler I've ever used. Slowly replacing all of the ones I use the most.

QuiltnNan 04-09-2013 08:27 AM

i think my first ruler was purchased at a quilt show. it's fluorescent with laser cut markings. it's 6.5"x24". this has been invaluable to me. the lines are very easy to read and thin enough to be very accurate. i wish i'd stuck to that type for all of my rulers.

Dolphyngyrl 04-09-2013 08:38 AM

I love my optimal the sad thing is you can't find the band anymore so when mine need replacing I will be sad

KarmPD 04-09-2013 08:41 AM

I love square rulers. I have a 6.5" I use for squaring pieces and I find it invaluable. I also have a 12.5 for squaring up and this is the best ever! I have the standard 6.5x24 as well for cutting strips of fabric as well as other assorted shapes. But, I would strongly recommend the square rulers to you, they are a favourite.

quiltstringz 04-09-2013 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 5988918)
Creative Grids all the way! They are easy to see and grip the fabric like no other ruler I've ever used. Slowly replacing all of the ones I use the most.

Same here - I really like these. But if you go to a LQS, see what brand they use and try them out - also if you have any friends you sew with. One of the things I have noticed is that the way the lines are or the coloring on some of them are harder for me to use. This doesn't mean they would be hard for everyone, I just noticed that my eyes seem to prefer one over the other, but my friend reads the ones I don't care for the best.

I currently have the Cut for the cure and lines going vertical I can see ok, but I have a hard time finding (easily) the vertical ones especially the 1/2 inch mark.

peaceandjoy 04-09-2013 09:30 AM

I've switched everything over to Creative Grids. The lines are clear and easy to see, but are thin. Some of the rulers I used to have had lines that were so thick that you could easily cut on one side or the other of 2 or 3 threads. Doesn't seem like much, but when you are looking for precise piecing and matching points, it matters!

berryberry 04-09-2013 09:57 AM

Deb Tucker's 6" square up ruler is my go to. I have her 12" I just recently purchased, but haven't got the hang of that one yet although I'm having fun trying.

Ioftheneedle 04-09-2013 10:17 AM

Who carries Creataive Grid rulers? I don't remember seeing them.