Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-t12556.html)

Away2me 10-24-2008 02:56 PM

Okay I'm attempting my first quilt. Any tricks of the trade involved with cutting my fabric squares? I'm doing 4 1/4 " squares. I have a rotary cutter, a cutting board and a square ruler.

I mean it seems pretty simple, but I figured I might get some time saving tips or some reminders from all you pros.

pocoellie 10-24-2008 03:03 PM

Welcome from NE CA. To save time, I would buy a 5" or wider ruler, or a June Taylor square. I can't think of what the correct name for it is, but it makes a 12" square, has slots in it, 1/2" apart. I have 2 of them, love them, others don't like them, it's up to you.

Quilter101 10-24-2008 03:07 PM

Read some of Kaye Woods books, and the simplest solution, although I'm not good at it for some reason, is strips. Sew strips together and then cut them... :)

Jim's Gem 10-24-2008 03:26 PM

You probably know this, but cut your fabrics into 41/4 in strips then subcut into the 4 1/4 squares. You can cut several layers at a time, but I wouldn't until you were comfortable with using the rotary cutter. You don't want to accidentally cut a whole bunch of fabrics the wrong size!!
Are you using yardage or fat quarters?

Away2me 10-24-2008 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
You probably know this, but cut your fabrics into 41/4 in strips then subcut into the 4 1/4 squares. You can cut several layers at a time, but I wouldn't until you were comfortable with using the rotary cutter. You don't want to accidentally cut a whole bunch of fabrics the wrong size!!
Are you using yardage or fat quarters?

Actually, I miss typed, I'm doing 4 1/2" squares. And I have no idea what you mean by yardage or fat quarters. I'm so novice at this! :roll:

Chele 10-24-2008 03:38 PM

You have all the right tools! One tip I found helpful is to include the "tick mark" in the cut. So if you're cutting 4-1/2" blocks, include the line for the 4-1/2" measurement. Also, work on those 1/4" seams. A quarter inch foot for your machine will make it a cinch. And square up anything that looks wonky.

Moonpi 10-24-2008 03:54 PM

for repeated cuts of the same size, a bit of tape or non-permanent marker on the ruler makes lining up a little faster.

pocoellie 10-24-2008 05:06 PM

a fat quarter is 18x21. There's all kinds of names such as jelly rolls, they're 2 1/2" strips, and various other "funny" names. Hang around here and you'll soon know them all. You can also buy just a 1/4 yard of fabric or even 1/8 yard. You can even buy usually dresses at thrift stores or yard sales to cut up. I've been known to do this, even though I have plenty of fabric. Especially good for crazy quilts. My 2 cents worth.

mary quite contrary 10-24-2008 05:18 PM

Be accurate in your cutting and again in your sewing and you will do fine. Be sure to sew exactly 1/4 inch on all of them. Also, if you have already sewn clothes you don't need to backstitch when quilting. You put one set of blocks in and sew then run the next set right behind it without a break.

Welcome and if you have more questions there are lots here that will help you.

bluebird 10-24-2008 05:32 PM

Welcome from the Ozarks. There is so much help on this forum, you will love it. My 2 cents is to start a small project, don't go for the big quilts, do a crib quilt, lap throw or something that will be easy and quick. You don't want to get bogged down and not finish (that's an "F" word here). Enjoy yourself. :D