Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting in Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-quilt-t65466.html)

kacie 09-19-2010 04:30 PM

I sometimes use fleece for the backing of a child's quilt, and I like it better without batting. Plenty snuggly without the heaviness.

jfifer 09-19-2010 10:03 PM

awesome idea. I have all ways use batting.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-19-2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I make kids quilts with no batting a lot of the time just because it reduces the weight of the quilt and they can carry it around with them easily. When I do that, I usually make them with flannel on the back and cotton on the front so it's still warm and cozy. The quilts I make as throws for my couch I do the same way, using 1-1/2 yd. each of flannel and cotton.

Here's a picture of one of the kid's quilts I do that way.

That's cute kids Quilt!!
Never thought of the heat thing, Thanks for the tip!

watterstide 09-20-2010 02:07 AM

I made one for my grandson, to keep in the car..no batting, and no quilting. she uses it to keep over the car seat, to keep the sun off it.

before i knew how to sew/quilt, i used a duvet cover as a blanket..2 sheets sewn together..in the summer.

steelecg 09-20-2010 03:35 AM

I hadn' thought of that - good idea

Originally Posted by brenda21
if I use flannel on the back then I don't use batting....too hot for my crew LOL

teddysmom 09-20-2010 04:12 AM

Has anyone used a thin flannel sheet as the batting?

Rettie V. Grama 09-20-2010 04:37 AM

I am currently making a quilt without batting. When I do this, I use either a printed lining so block stitching will not show through or a darker lining. It also makes a reversable quilt. As for it being a suimmer quilt, that is OK, but seems almost as heavy without the batting, depending on what batting you use.

During the pre-WW II conflict and even following, it was almost impossible to get batting. Either there was none or too expensive to purchase. To my knowledge, that is when the quilts with no batting started. I can remember my GM all wool top with dark flannel lining. no batting, which was tied at each corner. Warm? you betcha!

teddysmom 09-20-2010 04:50 AM

Thanks for the info. We live in the south and have very little REALLY cold weather. LOVE quilts but they can be TOO heavy for our climate.

fireworkslover 09-20-2010 05:07 AM

I'm making a new duvet for our down comforter. In the past I've used 2 flat king sized sheets, but they don't make printed sheets anymore that I like in 100% cotton. So I'm piecing 2 tops, a different pattern and colors on each side. I'd thought I'd back each with muslin,do some easy quilting to hold those layers together, just to keep the raw edges from rubbing on the comforter, when in use and when it gets washed. The duvet is on the bed by itself in the summer and used as a spread.

Elfi2 09-20-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
Has anyone used a thin flannel sheet as the batting?

I have used thin and thick flannell sheets, whatever comes. Sometimes I've also doubled the sheet if I thought it was too thin. Works really good and comes out just as nice.