Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting in Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-quilt-t65466.html)

carhop 09-20-2010 05:44 AM

I knew a lady who used old blankets as batting, had ask why she said it saved money and when there was a shortage of batting you got the same results.

sunrise450 09-20-2010 05:51 AM

I learn something everyday when I read these posts. Now this has opened a whole new can of worms! I can actually see some quilts finished now!

Parrothead 09-20-2010 06:56 AM

I have 2 quilts that were made as Summer quilts. They were pieced by my Grandmother and never quilted. Very thin material and they were meant to not have batting. However, when I had them quilted we decided to put in a very light batting and back. They probably weigh about 1/3 of a regular quilt.

colleen1978 09-20-2010 07:37 AM

I can't believe I never considered not using batting! Makes total sense to me to use none or a thin flannel. Too bad I have to work or I'd be in my room trying one right now!

Surfergirl 09-20-2010 08:16 AM

I'm new to quilting and have only made 2 quilts, one of them with flannel as the batting. I agree with others...this is a wonderful board and I have learned so much...the good ideas seem to keep coming. Thanks everyone!

DeniseP 09-20-2010 08:23 AM

Both of my grandmothers made quilts and neither of them used batting, not sure if there was even such a thing in their time. My mom said they either used a sheet in the middle or recycled an old blanket. I love a quilt with no batting and a cotton sheet on the back, so cool in the summer and I am not a person who likes much weight to my blankets.

greaterexp 09-20-2010 09:27 AM

I remember reading about the different kinds of batting used before commercial batting was available or affordable. I can't imagine using milkweed (the fluffy white part of the seeds). What a lot of work! We've got it awfully good, don't we?

Anne Marie 09-20-2010 10:20 AM

I am so happy that I began reading this forum. I have one quilt top completed and another almost ready to go. They are both for a California king size bed and are so heavy even w/o batting or backing. I am going to make "Summer Quilts" with them. Thanks for the question and all the great answers.

mshawii 09-20-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?

Many people in the hot southern states make bed toppers with no batting because they don't want the weight.

Mariah 09-20-2010 11:54 AM

I made one with no batting, as I wanted it for a Summer Quilt. I really like it!
A friend did her long-arm for me. She said she thought it would have been better for machine quilting to have used a very light batting. She showed me several places that were hard for her to machine quilt, and she "goofed."
She said there is a light-weight batting on the market now for just that purpose. I haven't seen it, but she said you can get it at JoAnn's.
I made another one with a very light-weight blanket and it was fine. Either way for me. Also batting gets expensive.
Mariah