Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

BellaBoo 07-25-2011 07:08 PM

Why stop if the money and storage room are available?

Phannie1 07-25-2011 07:14 PM

yea, right. I to buy when I go "looking." We only have on quilt store in the Brunswick area and it is on the island. I do not get there often but when I do it is alway 80 to 100 dollars. (I got a new machine the last time I went to Jacksonville, Now I have to start sewing to make the machine worth it.)

QuiltnLady1 07-25-2011 07:18 PM

I am going on fabric buying withdrawal. I will probably stop buying everything except batting and backing -- and even that would be under consideration since I have LOTS of batting and I have enough fabric that I don't want to cut that I can use as a back. I went to Joanns Saturday -- everything I bought was on sale at 40% or more and I STILL spent over $80 -- I only got 1 yard of fabric, the rest was notions. It's not just fabric, but simple notions are getting way too expensive. Other than the supplies that I consume and need to replace, I will be staying away from the quilt shops, and I will ignore ads. I think I have all the rulers I need to make everything I will want, so it is time to stop.

There -- I said it, now I have to stick to it!

Stitchit123 07-25-2011 07:45 PM

QuiltnLady it gets easier after you throw out your 2nd week of ads and delete all unopened fab E/Ms --I'm 80+ days without buying fabric... If I can do it anybody can

Rn8or 07-25-2011 07:51 PM

Hunting and gathering is half the fun of this!

BellaBoo 07-25-2011 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Phannie1
yea, right. I to buy when I go "looking." We only have on quilt store in the Brunswick area and it is on the island. I do not get there often but when I do it is alway 80 to 100 dollars. (I got a new machine the last time I went to Jacksonville, Now I have to start sewing to make the machine worth it.)

Oh, I use to live there! I miss Brunswick. We crabbed fished every day off the pier on St. Simons. DH was stationed there for school when he was in the Marine Corps. We were so young and all the military wives met everyday to find something to do. (Not quilting then) and we always ended up on St. Simon. Fun times spent all day and then back home when the DHs were let off base for the evening. We had cookware parties, everyone got the same set of stainless cookware. LOL.

wvdek 07-25-2011 08:10 PM

I know where you are coming from because I have been there myself. For those who keep buying, I think we are trying to fill a need for something we are missing in our lives and fabric gives us that pleasure and fills the need.
On the other hand, I had not made a fabric purchase (with the exception of 2 1/2 yds for my ironing board cover) for over 9 months. It was not hard - I simply don't have the money (and will not lie, sneak in, or hide the purchase from my DH or take away from the household budget), don't have the time to make anthing (I am in school full time), and I have more than enough stash to take care of things for quite sometime.
This week I started on my watermelon quilt and I did have to buy a combination of 1 1/2 yds of tans because I did not have enough on hand. It was easier than I thought as I found a new LQS and FQ's were $2.25 ea. The quality of fabric was excellant so I got 8 pieces. I did not need to have anymore.
Today I found another new LQS which is fantastic. She has a wonderful place with all current styles and brands at a reasonable price and, I am so proud of myself - I bought nothing because I needed nothing. I loved many fabrics, fondled them, oohed and ahhed over them, but walked away without buying.
Sometime ago I had to do some 'self-talk' and start asking myself why I was buying, when would I be using the fabric, will I like the fabric in 2, 5, or 10 years whene and only when I get around to making the item, and the big one - Can I afford it??? If you even hesitate for a moment on this one, you do not need to buy it. I have no problem walking away now and I can now enjoy without the guilt and the expense.

Quiltgranny 07-25-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I don't go fabric looking unless I HAVE to have something to complete a project. In 2011 I am allowing my self the 4 Bs...backing, batting, background, border only. If I can't make it from my stash I will have to do something else.
Debbie

This is just great!! :thumbup:

M.I.Late 07-25-2011 08:25 PM

Ration, ration, ration. (I'm already over budget)
Sales, sales, sales. (Don't go without coupons)
Wait, wait, wait... (Wait for the new ad to come out)

Well, thought that might work for you. Doesn't work for me either.

plainpat 07-26-2011 02:40 AM

One thing that has helped is keeping stash sorted according to color.It works for me.When I'm going shopping, I look at colors needed...whew! I don't need any thing at all.

A couple yrs ago I stopped buying "one use wonders" in quilting rulers & notions.If something is needed for one quilt, I pass on by & make do with something already in my sewing room.