Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

a1crafter 07-26-2011 04:04 AM

Only way is to not go in the stores and don't visit the email sites. I Know it's hard, but that is the only way!

BabyCakes 07-26-2011 04:12 AM

I find as I grow older I purchase less.

MargeD 07-26-2011 04:13 AM

Join the club. Because money is very tight, I have to avoid fabric stores. However, there are times I just have to go, look at the new fabric and try not to drool. Since we downsized, I purged a lot of fabric, but now that the fabric is sitting out in clear bins, I realize just how much fabric I have. I'm trying to use up what I have,and even made the family reunion quilt without buying batting (my niece did that) or backing. It was a good feeling. However, I just received a check for more than I anticipated, so guess who's going to JoAnn's? Yup - me. I can't avoid them forever, or I will feel like I'm in a cave. I'm trying to go by the motto - moderation in all things. It's a 20 step program - 12 steps didn't cover everything, but it will be fun when I fall off the wagon. Can't live without quilting.

Tinabodina 07-26-2011 04:26 AM

I couldn't tell you how to stop, but I have been able to help cut down. I have started 4 projects, all in different stages and I MAKE myself not go to the shops. It is hard, but I so far am doing ok. Good Luck. It's worse than trying to stop smoking. :-D :-D :lol:

4 cats 07-26-2011 04:33 AM

It started in January when I wanted to clean out my closet. My stash is in milk crates on the shelves grouped by color. I found some quilt squares that I had started and didn't finish. Then I found some swap blocks that I never put together, then I found rows of a Dear Hannah, just need to finish the triangles for 2 sides. So I started finishing and at the same time not buying any fabric. I haaven't bought any fabric this year, but I haven't made much of a dent in my stash. I took 2 quilt tops to the quilter and am working on another quilt. The only thing I have bought is thread. And I'm still finding half finished quilts in the closet.

4 cats 07-26-2011 04:33 AM

It started in January when I wanted to clean out my closet. My stash is in milk crates on the shelves grouped by color. I found some quilt squares that I had started and didn't finish. Then I found some swap blocks that I never put together, then I found rows of a Dear Hannah, just need to finish the triangles for 2 sides. So I started finishing and at the same time not buying any fabric. I haaven't bought any fabric this year, but I haven't made much of a dent in my stash. I took 2 quilt tops to the quilter and am working on another quilt. The only thing I have bought is thread. And I'm still finding half finished quilts in the closet.

Jo Mama 07-26-2011 04:34 AM

I ALWAYS say "this is the last time" or "when DH retires, I'll stop" but I can't.

quiltmom04 07-26-2011 04:38 AM

When I feel like I'm getting overloaded, I got through my stash and put projects together. In a box of one of those large plastic bags. Then when I need to start anew project, I grab one of those bags instead of getting something at the store. Also, if it's real bad, I watch an episode or two of "Hoarders" and that usually does it! :)

michelehuston 07-26-2011 04:41 AM

I am staying away from any place that has to do with quilting! As much as I enjoy going, I can not afford it! Have so many tops to be quilted and so much fabric to use that I can not justify it right now. Stay away is the only advise I can give...

roadrunr 07-26-2011 04:45 AM

Go to the store with no money and no credit card, that way you can look at all the pretty fabric and not buy anything. I do this all the time, prevents me from buying more things that I can't afford but I still get to look at all the pretty fabric