Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

Edie 07-26-2011 02:49 AM

These are the things you don't plan for. But it happens, we all know that. I went to Hancock's to get some netting for our black raspberries and they had a shelf where they had some really neat fabric (cotton) for $1.00 yard - bought five!

Then a few days later, after this had mulled in my brain - prices going up on cotton, and what all else, I went back over there and bought 18 yards of six different fabrics (3 yds each). I figured that would hold me, but then I got to thinking and I said to myself, "Self, go over to Hancock's by Mom's house and see what they have on their shelf!" Lucky for me I haven't gotten there yet. I don't even know if their store has that shelf. But the other one did. The lady said that the fabric had been there for a while and they just wanted to get rid of it. It was good fabric too.

So, no more quilting purchases----------------------until the next time. Edie

hmross 07-26-2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?

I have a tendency to just want to shop in general, quilting and non quilt related. When I don't have any money to spend I just stay away from the stores. If I only have money for 1 item I need I don't look. I go straight to that item go straight to the register pay and get the heck out of the store.

smagruder 07-26-2011 03:22 AM

SEW SEW SEW AND STAY AWAY FROM STORES.... YOU MUST HAVE PLENTY OF PROJECTS TO KEEP YOU BUSY... GOOD LUCK!!!! LOL IT IS SOOOOOO HARD TO BE GOOD SOMETIMES.

Buttons922 07-26-2011 03:25 AM

The only thing that I changed when I was in your exact situation is I got better at hiding my Fabric purchases in the budget. It is easier than not buying fabric. Good luck!

Rettie V. Grama 07-26-2011 03:38 AM

I buy new fabric only when I have a need for a fill in. Usually it is a solid color to match something in my stasch. I have so much stasch that I've started a bunch of crazy quilts. The Madeline way, a drunkards path and 9 patch crazy quilt. May even start a crazy crib quilt. What child doesn't like a lot of colors?

grann of 6 07-26-2011 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?

I don't stop. Back in the winter I put myself on a "spending diet"...failed miserably. I find those spending moratoriums seem to work in reverse. Kinda like when we were kids and our parents said "you can't...." Makes you want to all the more. Good thing I planted a little garden this year. Because yesterday I went to my LQS (Hayloft in Morgantown) to get a piece of fabric for backing and ended up going $87 into my grocery money. Hey, nothing wrong with eating zucchini 3 times a day. Zucchini bread for breakfast, zucchini fritters for lunch, and summer squash for supper. I have always tried to have a pantry of canned goods and staples for emergency rations. Same thing can hold true for fabric. You never know when your car will break down or bad weather will come and you can't get out to shop. You will always have your stash to shop from. Just keep doing what you're doing
:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

lindagor 07-26-2011 03:46 AM

I live 90 minutes from JoAnns and Hancock Fabrics, so I don't have many opportunities to blow my mind and my budget. Of course, when I'm there I guess I make up for lost time. Its hard being a Fabricholic!

twinkie 07-26-2011 03:52 AM

I could supply everyone actively on this board enough material to make a full size quilt and still have enough left to make a quilt for each member of my family. Now, if I just had enough time.

QuiltingMom80 07-26-2011 03:53 AM

I had to stop for a few days...I'm on vacation....WAIT, I think there is a quilt shop down the road!!!

angelanicole 07-26-2011 03:57 AM

don't come here on the QB
don't look at any fabric website
don't go to any fabric store far or near
but that means:
don't have any fun in life and that would be sooooooooo sad.