Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not everybody appreciates quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-everybody-appreciates-quilts-t158466.html)

M.I.Late 10-06-2011 01:10 PM

So many of us tisk-tisk someone who doesn't value the time and energy that goes into a homemade quilt. I really hate to see that. Ya know, I don't like sardines either, but I don't think I deserve to be treated differently because of it.

We really should be grateful because it allows us opportunity to pick up great finds and adopt quilts that have been unloved.

I think it's just as bad for us to judge someone as it is for them to discard something we hold so dear.

Just know your gift recipients and don't make one of your precious quilts for someone who is not really interested - because it will eventually be discarded. (And one of us will be out there thrilled to snatch it up).

Jim's Gem 10-06-2011 01:12 PM

Unfortunately there are lots of people out there that done appreciate quilts. My mother is chief among them. She told me at least 4 times that I don't need to make her one. Oh Well, her loss, not mine... Made one for my dad and he uses it when he's sitting his chair and he's cold.

Country1 10-06-2011 01:25 PM

This is Countrygirl1's hubby. Up until 2 years ago my Miss Penny and I slept under a hand tied quilt my grandfather and step-grandmother made for me in 1970. Had to retire it to display only due to wear and tear. We routinely look for quilt tops at "estate sales" wherein uncaring "family" throw in a beautiful top that a relative didn't get to finish. Often, hand-stitched tops sell for $30 or less. SHAME ON YOU folks. Miss Penny lovingly finishes them, quilts them on her frame and we frequently look at it and remember the lady (or man) we did not get to know!!! Don

BarbaraSue 10-06-2011 01:26 PM

It is ok to not like something as M.I.Late said. We all dislike something.
My DH would never want to walk into a craftmall, where crafts are for sale. He thinks we have enough "junk". That would insult alot of crafters to hear him call their wares junk. but to him that is what it is--nothing for him to use.
Some people do not see the need for more than one "thing" that covers the bed to make themselves warm, and they see no difference other than different fabrics or colors. It isn't their forte' so to speak.
That is their right.
We just need to find a way for others who do appreciate quilts to not be so rude. I don't have an answer.

sweetana3 10-06-2011 02:14 PM

My hubby calls baskets "kindling" but he is entitled to his opinion especially since he supports my need to make things. It is pretty funny since I just ignore it anyway.

BellaBoo 10-06-2011 02:35 PM

My DH thinks fat quarter are pretty rags to use as dishcloths. I found out he believed that by leaving stack of them on the kitchen counter.

charity-crafter 10-06-2011 02:40 PM

This is so true. Many people just don't understand why quilting is an enjoyable hobbie. My dh is one of them, why take perfectly good fabric, cut it into small pieces and sew it back to together? and it's way more expensive then buying one from the store.

I only give quilts to people who understand and actually like them.

IngeMK 10-06-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My DH thinks fat quarter are pretty rags to use as dishcloths. I found out he believed that by leaving stack of them on the kitchen counter.

OMG! that's too funny. Buy him his very own microfiber rags for christmas :D

fabric_fancy 10-06-2011 02:52 PM

thank you for posting this.

its a good reminder that people should give gifts that the person would like to receive not what we would like to give them.

just because we like to quilt doesn't mean everyone we know should get a quilt (or other home made crafts) just so we can buy more fabric and make more quilts.

i have never given anyone a quilt as a gift except my DH and he only has one.

if the people in my life want a quilt they can buy one just like my other customers.

i don't go to there place of business and ask for a gift or free stuff and they don't expect me to do that for them.

Crabby Patty 10-06-2011 03:07 PM

My quilts go to my family and I am so thankful that God gave me the children and grandchildren who appreciates hand done things. Great-grands are too young so far to know what they are going to like and dislike. Two of my grands have already told me what kind of quilt they want this year. They already have one each and they are really loved so guess it's time for another.LOL Grandma has to get busy.