Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Number of Duplicates in Layer Cakes and Charm Packs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/number-duplicates-layer-cakes-charm-packs-t214819.html)

Dolphyngyrl 02-25-2013 05:59 PM

Some dont have duplicates some may duplicate twice, i know moda doesnt duplicate but i havent used other brands

Nammie to 7 02-25-2013 06:04 PM

I'm working on creating my own layer cakes and jelly rolls - I have so much fabric and this is a good way to use up pieces!

JulieR 02-25-2013 06:17 PM

I've gone through a number of Moda layer cakes, and in general I see a handful of duplicates in each pack. Once in a while on a smaller line there will be a triplet or two. When I am cutting my own layer cakes (for specific patterns) I try to make sure I have a good balance of light v. dark pieces (50/50 if I can get it), and an eye-pleasing mix of strong designs and colors v. solids, blenders, and more "restive" pieces.

auntpiggylpn 02-25-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5888539)
Some dont have duplicates some may duplicate twice, i know moda doesnt duplicate but i havent used other brands

Moda DOES duplicate in some of their charm packs and layer cakes.

Maureen 02-25-2013 08:15 PM

I just used 4 Moda charm packs to make a quilt and there were no 2 alike in color but there was 4 different colorways.

auntpiggylpn 02-25-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen (Post 5888809)
I just used 4 Moda charm packs to make a quilt and there were no 2 alike in color but there was 4 different colorways.

I think it depends on how many fabrics are in a collection and how many color ways. The Ruby charm packs have the same prints but in different color ways and there is a pin dot fabric in each color way that there is 2 charms of each. Moda is consistent in keeping the count of their charm packs at 40-42.

YukonViv 02-25-2013 10:09 PM

I've used many Moda layer cakes and charm squares, I have rarely had duplicate squares. As mentioned, it depends on how many fabrics are in the line.

sandy l 02-26-2013 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by YukonViv (Post 5888980)
I've used many Moda layer cakes and charm squares, I have rarely had duplicate squares. As mentioned, it depends on how many fabrics are in the line.

I have yet to use a charm and/or layer cake that didn't have the pattern duplicated in different colors.

TexasGurl 02-26-2013 08:01 AM

The early Moda charm packs had varying totals of squares, from 30 to 40 or so, but they all seem to have 42 now. Layer cakes are 40-42. Duplicate prints depend on the fabric line, some lines have more designs and colorways than others.
Some manuf. (Benartex, RJR, Hoffman etc) have fewer total squares /strips, so you either get fewer prints or more duplicates, in my experience.

GramMER 02-26-2013 08:29 AM

Moda charm packs have two of almost every fabric.
The total number is 40 pieces.
There were only 7 single fabric pieces in the last pack I bought.
Each of the Moda charm packs lists the color numbers on a card tucked inside the pack.

I hope that information helps.