Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Number of Duplicates in Layer Cakes and Charm Packs

Number of Duplicates in Layer Cakes and Charm Packs

Hi, I am taking a class that calls for a layer cake and two charm packs - which I have never used before. As I have a rather substantial stash, I'd prefer to cut from that. However, I'd like to mirror the number of duplicates that I would have if I were using the pre-cuts.

Could anybody tell me how many duplicates I would typically find in each of these packs?

Thanks in advance,
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    Hi, I am taking a class that calls for a layer cake and two charm packs - which I have never used before. As I have a rather substantial stash, I'd prefer to cut from that. However, I'd like to mirror the number of duplicates that I would have if I were using the pre-cuts.

Could anybody tell me how many duplicates I would typically find in each of these packs?

Thanks in advance,
    Cathy
    I think it varies by brand, but I have seen it stated in the description of some. Did they tell you to buy any particular fabric(s)?

Blog Entries
    All my charm packs have had two of each fabric in the line for a total of 40 or 42. I haven't purchased a layer cake.

Go to either manufacturer's site or online store. That should tell you the number of pieces in that collection.

Thanks for the comments.

I did take some looks around and saw that some had four or five of each of 10 fabrics in the layer cakes. I thought that was a little high so thought I'd ask what you've found in your packs. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    It really depends on how many different fabrics are in a collection. Layer cakes and charm packs can also vary as to how many there is in each. I just used a Mod a charm pack that had 42 pieces in it but 6 were duplicated. So there were actually 36 different fabrics but withe 6 duplicates made the charm pack 42 pieces. This was a charm pack of a fabric line that came in 3 or 4 color ways so it was easy to get 36 different fabrics - same print different colors. If I was you ( and I applaud you for using up that stash!) I would choose 21 fabrics and duplicate them.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

auntpiggylpn has a good idea of using 21 fabrics and duplicating them one. I just checked a Moda charm park I have and is says 42 charms.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Usually my layer cakes have 4 fabrics that they duplicate - the plain ones. Usually I buy the 42 layer cakes. So there are 38 different fabrics and 4 are duplicated. I have many, many layer cakes and charm packs. That is what I have found. IMHO.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've had some Moda charm packs with 38 squares, some with 40 and some 42.
    So, I'd say on average 40 squares. Same for layer cakes. I've had same without
    any repeats and some with a few. It all depends how many fabrics are in that
    collection.

Blog Entries
    I love charm packs and buy them quite often. You may not get repeats, but you will get several pieces that are the same print but different color scheme.
    Sherri

Some dont have duplicates some may duplicate twice, i know moda doesnt duplicate but i havent used other brands
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I'm working on creating my own layer cakes and jelly rolls - I have so much fabric and this is a good way to use up pieces!

I've gone through a number of Moda layer cakes, and in general I see a handful of duplicates in each pack. Once in a while on a smaller line there will be a triplet or two. When I am cutting my own layer cakes (for specific patterns) I try to make sure I have a good balance of light v. dark pieces (50/50 if I can get it), and an eye-pleasing mix of strong designs and colors v. solids, blenders, and more "restive" pieces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Some dont have duplicates some may duplicate twice, i know moda doesnt duplicate but i havent used other brands
    Moda DOES duplicate in some of their charm packs and layer cakes.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I just used 4 Moda charm packs to make a quilt and there were no 2 alike in color but there was 4 different colorways.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I just used 4 Moda charm packs to make a quilt and there were no 2 alike in color but there was 4 different colorways.
    I think it depends on how many fabrics are in a collection and how many color ways. The Ruby charm packs have the same prints but in different color ways and there is a pin dot fabric in each color way that there is 2 charms of each. Moda is consistent in keeping the count of their charm packs at 40-42.

Blog Entries
    I've used many Moda layer cakes and charm squares, I have rarely had duplicate squares. As mentioned, it depends on how many fabrics are in the line.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    I've used many Moda layer cakes and charm squares, I have rarely had duplicate squares. As mentioned, it depends on how many fabrics are in the line.
    I have yet to use a charm and/or layer cake that didn't have the pattern duplicated in different colors.

The early Moda charm packs had varying totals of squares, from 30 to 40 or so, but they all seem to have 42 now. Layer cakes are 40-42. Duplicate prints depend on the fabric line, some lines have more designs and colorways than others.
    Some manuf. (Benartex, RJR, Hoffman etc) have fewer total squares /strips, so you either get fewer prints or more duplicates, in my experience.
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 02-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Moda charm packs have two of almost every fabric.
    The total number is 40 pieces.
    There were only 7 single fabric pieces in the last pack I bought.
    Each of the Moda charm packs lists the color numbers on a card tucked inside the pack.

I hope that information helps.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I have yet to use a charm and/or layer cake that didn't have the pattern duplicated in different colors.
    I wasn't referring to the same pattern in a different colour, I was referring to the same fabric twice.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

I bought a moda jelly roll with about 32 fabrics used for 40 strips. Decided I needed neutrals to go with, so I bought a moda jelly roll in neutrals, which had about 16 fabrics used for 40 strips. I also bought a moda charm pack to match the colors and got about 20 colors for 40 squares. And I still had to buy yardage for borders and back. I ended up with 2 quilts. I will never again buy jelly rolls or charm packs, and I'm afraid to try a layer cake! From now on I'll buy only yardage and cut my own pieces - whatever size I need.
    Shirley in Arizona

I think it depends on how many different fabrics are in the design. If the charm pack contains 42 fabrics, and there are only 35 fabrics in the design, you'll get 7 duplicates; however, I don't know how you'd know that ahead of time.

I have bought layer cakes and charm packs that have no duplicates. The jelly rolls do have duplicates, but very few.

Layer cakes are wonderful and they usually have 40 to 42 pieces with two to four duplicates. Charm packs are 40 to 42 pieces and usually have an equal number of duplicates. I can certainly understand you wanting to use your stash, but for pure delight I would pop for the charm pack and the layer cake.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast