Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using? >

charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using?

charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM

Default charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using?

I always wash my fabric before starting a project. I have never used charm packs or patty cakes before, but I have some ordered that are due to deliver today. Over the week end someone told me that I don't have to wash those. Is that correct? Do you guys wash your charm packs and patty cakes before you start a project with them or are they ok to use unwashed?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

I never wash, they would ravel too much, and actually I believe it is recommended they not be washed. I have not had a problem with warping or shrinkage.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 AM

I always prewash everything before using. Put them in the sink with a little Retayne to set the dye with water as hot as you can stand. Like colors together. Rinse until water is clear. I use a salad spinner to get out excess water then lay flat to dry. I am always amazed at which fabrics bleed and which don't.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 AM

The manufacturers recommend NOT washing them. I am a staunch pre washer of everything EXCEPT precuts!!! The possibility of fraying, shrinking and warping is not worth it.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 AM

I prewash yardage, but never precuts. Some do and say it works out, but really, it can (and most likely will) be a nightmare if you do. They fray, tangle, shrink, get wrinkled, etc., etc.

One main advantage of precuts is to make quilting easier, not harder. So go ahead and use them without prewashing. Very few fabrics bleed today due to a much better dying process, but if you are concerned, then when the quilt is finished, throw a Color Catcher in while washing and that will take care of any bleeding that might occur.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I throw my smaller pieces into lingerie bags. I pre-wash everything no matter the size. You can make your own lingerie bag. I've used old pillow cases and even old panty hose. You can get plus size panty hose at the dollar stores and/or knee highs. I just don't use anything until it's been pre-washed. I also wash in hot water to make sure it has shrunk as much as it's going to. I have old trimmings like bric brac that I wash in panty hose. Toss that into the dryer on low about 10 minutes or roll into a large bath towel and set aside for an hour or 2.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I very seldom buy precuts - in fact I think I've bought exactly one jelly roll, and that was for a jelly roll race quilt (that I still haven't made). I don't intend to prewash it, although I do prewash everything else.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 AM

I buy pre-cuts all the time (I have a weakness for those) and I never pre wash them. They all go straight from the package onto my cutting table - I have never had a problem - I always wash my quilts when I finish the quilting before the quilt goes to its new home. Have fun.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM

What is a patty cake?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM

I put mine in a old stocking with a color catcher and have had good results. I press them dry, not iron as moving the iron around can stretch them out of shape. Always using starch to help them hold their shape and make them easier to work with.