Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using? >

charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using?

charm packs and patty cakes.. do you wash them before using?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I throw my smaller pieces into lingerie bags. I pre-wash everything no matter the size. You can make your own lingerie bag. I've used old pillow cases and even old panty hose. You can get plus size panty hose at the dollar stores and/or knee highs. I just don't use anything until it's been pre-washed. I also wash in hot water to make sure it has shrunk as much as it's going to. I have old trimmings like bric brac that I wash in panty hose. Toss that into the dryer on low about 10 minutes or roll into a large bath towel and set aside for an hour or 2.
But if you washed them in the hottest water and the precuts are the size you need, wouldn't you be defeating the purpose of precuts because they would shrink? I have never had a problem with precuts (having them shrink on me) and I generally wash the finished quilt in cold water with the color catcher. I think you would probably be better off, then, buying your fabric, washing it and ironing it and precut yourself. I always wash the larger amounts of fabric, but not the precuts.

Not to change the subject, but I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and we are heading out to a new place (at least it's new to me) in Minneapolis. I mentioned to her that I can tell the difference between a person that sews and one that doesn't. The one that doesn't calls it material. The one that does calls it fabric. To which she said "Oh, Edie, you just said the "F" word. So now, I guess not only can I sew with it, I can cuss with it. Have a great day, Gals! Edie
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 AM

I don't prewash them with the idea that they are all the same fabric and if any shrinkage occurs it will all be the same. But I've never had any sort of problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 AM

I don't prewash the precuts but I read yesterday that it helps a lot if you run a sticky roller over the edges before you open the package -- you know the kind that you use on a your clothes to remove the pet hair and fabric threads. I had never thought of this and our sewing machines might love us for doing this also -- a lot less lint, etc. to deal with.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 AM

Since I wash my finished project anyway, I do not pre-wash anything. I think the starch actually helps with the blocks.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 AM

If I did not work with unwashed yardage cut into various sized quilt patches because I was concerned with the outcome after washing such as shrinkage, fading, bleeding, etc., why wouldn't I be concerned with the same issues with precuts? I am always amazed that people who always wash and dry yardage as they will in the finished quilt are prone not to wash and dry precuts in a mesh bag, panty hose or in the sink. I can tell you that if you have never experienced a problem in the finished product that you are indeed fortunate. My biggest complaint about precuts and the reason I have stopped purchasing them is that they are so often off-grain and grain does matter even in small cut pieces.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM

I would only wash the finished project. I think you would be asking for trouble otherwise
Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Different companies/stores have different names for some of the same cuts. A 10" precut is a 10"n precut no matter the different names, along with the 5" charms sometimes have different names. I do not pre wash, but to each his own, just like I prewash yardage and have been for 50+ years.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
If I did not work with unwashed yardage cut into various sized quilt patches because I was concerned with the outcome after washing such as shrinkage, fading, bleeding, etc., why wouldn't I be concerned with the same issues with precuts? I am always amazed that people who always wash and dry yardage as they will in the finished quilt are prone not to wash and dry precuts in a mesh bag, panty hose or in the sink. I can tell you that if you have never experienced a problem in the finished product that you are indeed fortunate. My biggest complaint about precuts and the reason I have stopped purchasing them is that they are so often off-grain and grain does matter even in small cut pieces.
My thoughts, too.