Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Number of Duplicates in Layer Cakes and Charm Packs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/number-duplicates-layer-cakes-charm-packs-t214819.html)

cmw0829 02-25-2013 07:14 AM

Number of Duplicates in Layer Cakes and Charm Packs

Hi, I am taking a class that calls for a layer cake and two charm packs - which I have never used before. As I have a rather substantial stash, I'd prefer to cut from that. However, I'd like to mirror the number of duplicates that I would have if I were using the pre-cuts.

Could anybody tell me how many duplicates I would typically find in each of these packs?

Thanks in advance,
Cathy

Lee in Richmond 02-25-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 5886909)
Hi, I am taking a class that calls for a layer cake and two charm packs - which I have never used before. As I have a rather substantial stash, I'd prefer to cut from that. However, I'd like to mirror the number of duplicates that I would have if I were using the pre-cuts.

Could anybody tell me how many duplicates I would typically find in each of these packs?

Thanks in advance,
Cathy

I think it varies by brand, but I have seen it stated in the description of some. Did they tell you to buy any particular fabric(s)?

irishrose 02-25-2013 07:36 AM

All my charm packs have had two of each fabric in the line for a total of 40 or 42. I haven't purchased a layer cake.

gramajo 02-25-2013 07:37 AM

Go to either manufacturer's site or online store. That should tell you the number of pieces in that collection.

cmw0829 02-25-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I did take some looks around and saw that some had four or five of each of 10 fabrics in the layer cakes. I thought that was a little high so thought I'd ask what you've found in your packs. Thanks again.

auntpiggylpn 02-25-2013 11:25 AM

It really depends on how many different fabrics are in a collection. Layer cakes and charm packs can also vary as to how many there is in each. I just used a Mod a charm pack that had 42 pieces in it but 6 were duplicated. So there were actually 36 different fabrics but withe 6 duplicates made the charm pack 42 pieces. This was a charm pack of a fabric line that came in 3 or 4 color ways so it was easy to get 36 different fabrics - same print different colors. If I was you ( and I applaud you for using up that stash!) I would choose 21 fabrics and duplicate them.

gramajo 02-25-2013 11:34 AM

auntpiggylpn has a good idea of using 21 fabrics and duplicating them one. I just checked a Moda charm park I have and is says 42 charms.

jcrow 02-25-2013 12:38 PM

Usually my layer cakes have 4 fabrics that they duplicate - the plain ones. Usually I buy the 42 layer cakes. So there are 38 different fabrics and 4 are duplicated. I have many, many layer cakes and charm packs. That is what I have found. IMHO.

EasyPeezy 02-25-2013 12:51 PM

I've had some Moda charm packs with 38 squares, some with 40 and some 42.
So, I'd say on average 40 squares. Same for layer cakes. I've had same without
any repeats and some with a few. It all depends how many fabrics are in that
collection.

SherriB 02-25-2013 05:01 PM

I love charm packs and buy them quite often. You may not get repeats, but you will get several pieces that are the same print but different color scheme.