Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-my-my-thrift-store-find-t214905.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 02-26-2013 07:07 AM

OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find:

My DH and I were in a thrift store we had never been in before. I asked a clerk if they had any fabric and she pointed to a board and said if there was any, it would be on that board. I had already been over there so I started looking near the linens on a table. There was a plastic bag all stapled together and I could see it had charm squares in Christmas patterns. I grabbed that bag so fast and held it close to me until we checked out. When I got to the truck, I opened it and almost passed out ! It had 5 charm squares of 100 fabrics and two packages containing 7 FQ's each. So I ended up with 500 charm squares and 14 fat quarters, all in the same fabrics for $3.97. These are in the original package, never opened. Earlier in the day, at another thrift store, I bought the brand new Fons and Porters 'easy quilts' magazine Spring 2013 for 50 cents and the price is $6.99. I have to wonder who the original owners were and why these items ended up in a thrift store. I also bought a beautiful new sewing basket for $3.00. I have quite a reputation for picking up bargains and today I feel very blessed. Guess the family is getting Christmas quilts this year !!!

owlvamp 02-26-2013 07:10 AM

That is awesome. There is great finds at the thrift stores.

Central Ohio Quilter 02-26-2013 08:19 AM

Yippeeee! I love hearing about thrift store and garage sale finds like that! Ad I love it when I find them too! It makes for quite a thrill!

Sewfine 02-26-2013 08:36 AM

That is a great find. Lucky you :)

Tartan 02-26-2013 08:41 AM

Congratulations on your lucky strike! Doesn't it feel like you've found buried treasure?

erstan947 02-26-2013 09:00 AM

Great save.....it could have ended in the land fill .....I think my family will toss all my fabric and related tools in the trash. :(

PattR 02-26-2013 09:05 AM

You are really lucky. I think I will run out to my local thrift stores right now to see what I can find. Its been raining several days, but there is sunshine today.

nativetexan 02-26-2013 10:04 AM

Not too long ago i gave three new quilts to our Habitat for Humanity charity in town. I just wasn't in love with them, so they went. Now the last quilt i did went to Precious Child charity since I talked to a woman who gladly took it for auction. I have hoped whom ever got my quilts liked them. one was a nice convergence quilt with beautiful fabrics but it didn't hang correctly and I didn't feel like trying to block it, so away it went. i have enough stress in life.
glad you got such good deals!!

QuiltnNan 02-26-2013 10:05 AM

congrats! what a great find.

Lori S 02-26-2013 01:10 PM

Great find! Bet you feel a bit like a bandit!