Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find:

OH MY !! My Thrift Store Find:

My DH and I were in a thrift store we had never been in before. I asked a clerk if they had any fabric and she pointed to a board and said if there was any, it would be on that board. I had already been over there so I started looking near the linens on a table. There was a plastic bag all stapled together and I could see it had charm squares in Christmas patterns. I grabbed that bag so fast and held it close to me until we checked out. When I got to the truck, I opened it and almost passed out ! It had 5 charm squares of 100 fabrics and two packages containing 7 FQ's each. So I ended up with 500 charm squares and 14 fat quarters, all in the same fabrics for $3.97. These are in the original package, never opened. Earlier in the day, at another thrift store, I bought the brand new Fons and Porters 'easy quilts' magazine Spring 2013 for 50 cents and the price is $6.99. I have to wonder who the original owners were and why these items ended up in a thrift store. I also bought a beautiful new sewing basket for $3.00. I have quite a reputation for picking up bargains and today I feel very blessed. Guess the family is getting Christmas quilts this year !!!

Blog Entries
    That is awesome. There is great finds at the thrift stores.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Yippeeee! I love hearing about thrift store and garage sale finds like that! Ad I love it when I find them too! It makes for quite a thrill!

That is a great find. Lucky you

Power Poster
    Congratulations on your lucky strike! Doesn't it feel like you've found buried treasure?

Blog Entries
    Great save.....it could have ended in the land fill .....I think my family will toss all my fabric and related tools in the trash.

You are really lucky. I think I will run out to my local thrift stores right now to see what I can find. Its been raining several days, but there is sunshine today.

Blog Entries
    Not too long ago i gave three new quilts to our Habitat for Humanity charity in town. I just wasn't in love with them, so they went. Now the last quilt i did went to Precious Child charity since I talked to a woman who gladly took it for auction. I have hoped whom ever got my quilts liked them. one was a nice convergence quilt with beautiful fabrics but it didn't hang correctly and I didn't feel like trying to block it, so away it went. i have enough stress in life.
    glad you got such good deals!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    congrats! what a great find.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Great find! Bet you feel a bit like a bandit!

Congrats on your great finds!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Wow! You made a great purchase! Our thrift stores seldom have any fabrics at all . My best find was a piece of lime green minky for $2. It fit the back of a baby quilt perfectly.
    Sherri

I haven't checked our thrift stores in a while. I did find some solids last year at our local Goodwill. Sounds like you had a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    Great save.....it could have ended in the land fill .....I think my family will toss all my fabric and related tools in the trash.
    I've already told my family that this had best not happen with my "stuff"...if it does I will come back to haunt them and I will not be a friendly ghost!
    By the way, great find Wanabee. I love to hear stuff like that.
    Last edited by Jennie and Me; 02-26-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Great find!!

Wow I never find these great treasures at thrift stores! The local Goodwill has been charging outrageous prices and they told me they throw away fabrics, threads, beads, all that kind of stuff!
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Wow That's Wonderful. Good for you!!!

Great find! Happy quilting!

What a wonderful find. I need to visit my local thrift store. Maybe I can be lucky too. Have fun with your find.

Great find!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    Well, put it in a will--what to do with your stuff. It is too valuable to throw in a dump. if they don't want to mess with it, at least they should offer it on free cycle or give to a charity or organization that makes quilts for others.

SCORE!!! I love a successful thrift shopping day!!

Blog Entries
    Congrats to you on you terrific find.
    Thrift store finds are the best.I go out at least once a monthand come home with pieced quilt tops in the bags. Keep searching the stores we all get lucky once in a while.

Wow....what a find! I want to take you shopping with me!

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Quote Originally Posted by wraez View Post
    Wow I never find these great treasures at thrift stores! The local Goodwill has been charging outrageous prices and they told me they throw away fabrics, threads, beads, all that kind of stuff!
    That is so sad! Folks donate and they throw it away. I believe I would write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper letting folks know not to take there stuff for donation to that Goodwill because they throw it away. I also would contact the head of Goodwill in that state and report what they are doing.
    cparant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast