Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

Selena 09-01-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 40 Love
Oh boy, you guys have hit a nerve with me! I have been wanting a "Tin Lizzy" for years but there's always a reason why I can't get one. My husband's reasoning is that, we don't have the room! Well, our house has 6 bedrooms and all but one of our children are out of the house. He has a sailboat, a yacht club membership plus all of the other expenses involved with the upkeep of the boat. Now we're going to be moving into a smaller house and... you guessed it... now there won't be any room! (But, I can always find room.) Enjoy your long arm! I'll be sending my quilts out to be quilted.

Mine is in what used to be the quest room. It's corner to corner in there. I have to slide the end to get around it. My sewing machine is in the closet where it fits nicely. We no longer have a quest room but I have a quilting room. Guests come around rarely. I live here every day.

Anna O 09-01-2011 07:13 AM

Or his motorcycle!

Lucy90 09-01-2011 07:22 AM

I think men just feel they should have all the toys for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and the list goes on and on. I just bought what I needed for my hobbies and if anything was said, I say well I can sew all year. Motorcycles can only be used a few months of the year in MN. Bowling costs money, old cars and fixing cars takes money, smoking costs money. I could go on and on. So just enjoy your long arm and if he makes a comment again give him some examples of what he spends money on. No one should feel guilty!!

Quilter54 09-01-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
A M E N !! :thumbup:

I'm with you. A M E N !!!

Robinlee 09-01-2011 07:47 AM

I love this explanation..........sounds like my house.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I got my long arm by looking at the corvette in the garage. We can't drive it often because: it's raining. It's going to rain. it might rain. it rained last week etc.
I told him that even if I quilted 5 quilts a year it would get used more that that car, and I wouldn't be paying for collision insurance to boot!

scrappylady 09-01-2011 07:50 AM

GOOD QUESTION.....will we (women) ever figure out the answer??? doubtful

Robinlee 09-01-2011 07:53 AM

This would be something I would get.......and I would do the same in return.

Originally Posted by Annette Searcy
One year my husband bought me a boat and motor for mother's day (I DO NOT fish.) I bought him a sewing machine for father's day. He didn't like it.

quiltmau 09-01-2011 07:59 AM

My husband does not have hobbies-drives me crazy-I love to design and have done beading and now quilting. Both expensive hobbies. I do not sell but donate what I make to local charities - he doesn't say much but every once and awhile I get the raised eyebrow. I was quilting on the dining room table but he hates the mess so we are in the process of moving everything up stairs to the guest room.

andiejohnsonsews 09-01-2011 08:03 AM

That is too funny!! And and incredibly valid point! I'm totally using this argument. Plus, our kids all play EXPENSIVE sports and none of them will get scholarships or make a career of them. What about mama?

auniqueview 09-01-2011 08:04 AM

Anytime my husband would think of mentioning what I spend on my toys, I just start asking about his latest camera purchase, and he goes away.

I worked most of the years we were married, and had my own income. Now, I don't, and my only income is a measly social security check. But all those years, I was and still am the person who cooks and cleans around here. No maid, no chef. Me. I don't think he can afford to replace me, so I buy what I feel we can afford, if I want it.

And if anyone else questions him about what I spend....he tells them it keeps me out of bars. What?