Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old Fabric Friends (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-fabric-friends-t272144.html)

quiltingcandy 11-12-2015 12:27 PM

JoAnn's in San Diego has a military discount, but it has to be an active military or retired. They also have the same discount for teachers, but the teacher has to be enrolled in their teachers' program with a card or have a copy of their current payment stub.

klswift 11-12-2015 05:19 PM

every once is awhile I pull out a piece from way back in the stash and find it is 36" wide. That tells me how old it is!!!

klswift 11-12-2015 05:22 PM

All Joanns have the military and teachers discounts. With the teachers (it can actually be anyone working for the school district), you simply need to show them an id or paystub that has this year's date to get your card renewed yearly. They also do the seniors days quite often.

quiltingshorttimer 11-12-2015 06:39 PM

Ironic--I was going through a neighbor's deceased Mom's stash--she's donated it to our Guild garage sale, today measuring and pricing(and also washing some of the fabric that was musty) YARDS of 60's-70s calicos. She also gave me 4 bolts--including a huge bolt f 36" muslin. And 3 large boxes of scrapes--she hand pieced and quilted everything and saved everything. It's convinced me that I DON'T need to save my little pieces---especially if Santa doesn't bring me an Accuquilt to make it into blocks for a scrappy!

jeanne49 11-12-2015 06:44 PM

I have some of that fabric - in dusty rose and a blue - not a lot, but I have it too

BonnieI 11-12-2015 07:00 PM

I still have a bunch of the red and am planning on using it on the upcoming mystery quilt.

DivaDee 11-12-2015 09:29 PM

My mom bought my prom dress fabric from Sears. Beautiful turquoise brocade.
I have 5 Ben Franklin's within 30 miles of my home.
We have JoAnns and Hancock and of course WalMart. Probably 10 LYS with 30 miles of me.
I try to keep them all in business.

M cubed 11-13-2015 02:01 AM

There is still a Ben Franklin that sells fabrics!!! It is located in Bishop, CA on Hwy 395. Love that place.

BettyGee 11-13-2015 09:15 AM

I have some of that in my stash too. It is still one of my favorites. Why am I saving it? I don't know. I found some fabric in a bin the other day when getting out my Christmas fabrics and was delighted. I'd completely forgotten it. My SABLE is getting worse and I must keep sewing or my son is going to have an awful time figuring out what to do with "Mom's Stash." That said, I am 75 years old and I cannot leave yet as there is too much fabric and too many patterns left to do. That alone keeps me young.

tlpa 11-13-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DivaDee (Post 7375100)
My mom bought my prom dress fabric from Sears. Beautiful turquoise brocade.

I found an old bolt of Sears gold cotton fabric in my travels. I love the color and have been making a quilt with it. I'll show it when it's done, but have been having issues with the size of the blocks not being the same :(. It takes me awhile to complete a quilt because I'll get tired of it and move onto something else. I think I have some pink and light blue of the hearts....maybe even red.