Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Once You Start A Quilt,Do You (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/once-you-start-quilt-do-you-t57625.html)

nannya54 08-06-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
No, I stop
Sometimes I'll cut the blocks into strips or pieces to go into a Mile a Minute or Crumbs quilt

What's a Mile a Minute or Crumbs quilt? Sounds interesting.

zz-pd 08-06-2010 09:56 PM

I am getting ready to start a big quilt, But I will finish what ever I start, because I don't have the option to buy fabric. So what I start will be finished to the end. God bless. Penny

grammypatty7 08-07-2010 03:59 AM

Put your "no way blocks" and unused fabrics into a quilt sampler. You just might be surprised with the end results but I'd recommend you use a neutral, tone on tone or plain fabrics for the sashing to give a break between the"no way blocks" or colors that could clash in your mind. Give it some thought. You might just be surprised.
Patty

Originally Posted by justme2
keep going it,regardless of wether you like it or not?

I used to, back when quilting was new to me.Then realized there are
certain colors/patterns I just can't stand working on.
Now I always do a sample block.Is it worth making enough for a quilt?
Does the color need changing? Better to stop than to force myself to
make an un-loved quilt. Besides....un used fabric builds stash & I get a collection of "no way" blocks. :-D

plainpat 08-07-2010 09:19 AM

Thanks,Patty....lots of good advice on here for orphan blocks.BTW, we have a DD in Fl. They live on Merritt Is...very near the space center.Love your avatar....very pretty quilt.

grammypatty7 08-07-2010 04:30 PM

Thanks,Patty....lots of good advice on here for orphan blocks.BTW, we have a DD in Fl. They live on Merritt Is...very near the space center.Love your avatar....very pretty quilt.

I'm west of Orlando about an hour and south of Ocala about an hour - in The Villages, FL. If you head down this way sometime, look me up. I've never been to Merrit Is and would love to go there one day but since retiring, we aren't very adventuresome. Actually we're very content here in the villages.

I can't let blocks go to waste, not even ugly ones. You could also quickly make them into pot holders or hot pads and then they'd at least be worth the time, effort and money you put in them. Just a thought.
Patty

katiebear1 08-07-2010 04:31 PM

Sample blocks what a smart thing to do!

katiebear1 08-07-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan

Originally Posted by bj
When I started quilting, I made a promise to myself that I would not start a new project until I finished the one I was working on. I just know I would get too overwhelmed if I let too much get going at once.

Me, too!

I made that promise too...lasted about 4 months LOL

Janie Q 08-07-2010 04:57 PM

I usually get the top completed to see how it looks. Then decide I don't like it enough to have it quilted. The top goes in the closet til one of my friends gets a quilt machine, then I give them a bag full to practice on. If I get blocks I don't like I give them to a friend to make charity quilts. She has made some nice looking quilts out of my ugly blocks.

plainpat 08-08-2010 02:09 AM

Not to start a travel log, but we used to spend a lot of winters in FL & enjoyed the Ocala area. Back then it wasn't a tourist destination & the
Villages were just getting started.Fl has grown so much & all areas have more ppl etc.

I'm west of Orlando about an hour and south of Ocala about an hour - in The Villages, FL. If you head down this way sometime, look me up. I've never been to Merrit Is and would love to go there one day but since retiring, we aren't very adventuresome. Actually we're very content here in the villages.

grammypatty7 08-08-2010 04:01 AM

Will IM you privately.
Patty
As you say, we don't want to start a travel log here.

Not to start a travel log, but we used to spend a lot of winters in FL & enjoyed the Ocala area. Back then it wasn't a tourist destination & the
Villages were just getting started.Fl has grown so much & all areas have more ppl etc.