Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One tip to give to a quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-tip-give-quilter-t44457.html)

MadQuilter 05-04-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by katei
And don't use the rotary cutter after two glasses of wine!

Boy do I second that!

I have been pondering my existence recently and came to realize that the old saying: "Anything worth doing is worth doing right" may not be what beginner quilters (or even seasoned ones) may want to hear - but it is so true.

All those annoying steps in the block preparation - whether it be starching, or pressing, or squaring up - make final assembly so much easier and lead to a better end product.

windycitygal 05-04-2010 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
If you bleed on a quilt (or anything else) your own saliva will break up the blood. So spit on it immediately.

Hydrogen perioxde takes blood out of fabric! Learned this when I worked for a vet and the animals would sometimes bleed on me.

windycitygal 05-04-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Irishlady
She is a very deep thinker. At the moment she is working out the yardage for our next quilt.

Quilt Wizard or Electric Quilt Programs are indispensible when it comes to yardage calculations! Never had a kitty that could do that for me. They pay for themselves in the time and aggravation they save me by having the right amount of fabric. Nothing worse than running out and not having the fabric you need in the store.

gaigai 05-05-2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
never cut after 10 PM

Well, that's a very personal matter. I never cut BEFORE 10 pm. And NEVER after 7 AM.

PBS 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (did I mention NEVER) show your mistakes to others! For all they know, that block or strip or the whole quilt is suppose to look like that!!

Evangeline 05-10-2010 02:45 PM

My mother in law told me that if I didn't have several different unfinished projects laying around, I wasn't doing it right... she's very wise since I think that variety keeps things interesting for me. I have one I'm tying, one I'm quilting, one I'm piecing, and one I'm cutting out. All I have to do is choose what I feel like working on. =)

maryb119 05-10-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PBS
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (did I mention NEVER) show your mistakes to others! For all they know, that block or strip or the whole quilt is suppose to look like that!!

Thats a hard one to follow. I always point out my mistakes.

PBS 05-11-2010 05:09 AM

Maryb119, it depends on whom I'm showing my quilt to. If it's another quilter, then I will point out what I'm unhappy about, and maybe they can give me some pointers on how to correct it. But if it's a gift, I won't. I want them to know I did the best I could and it was done with love.

craftybear 06-07-2010 01:53 PM

check your measurements before you cut

jolo 06-07-2010 04:36 PM

Use the same ruler or machine thru out making a quilt top.