Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions on cutting table ( pic. shown) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-cutting-table-pic-shown-t29250.html)

carrieg 11-24-2009 05:14 PM

I have this table and use it constantly in my sewing room. I always keep 1 of the leaves up. It appears to be about 3-4 inches taller than my sewing table, which is a kitchen table in its past life. DH reinforced the legs with a couple 'L' brackets. He felt it wasn't sturdy enough. I have had no problems with it. I like that it folds up small. I read somewhere that a lady used it as an extra buffet table for large dinners.

Butterfli19 11-24-2009 05:28 PM

I have it as well. It's not good if you need to bear down, but I bought it mainly for sandwiching quilts so I didn't have to kneel on the floor anymore. It's too high for me to cut on - I prefer to be directly over what I am cutting so I get a top view and not a slanted view.

The quilts I make aren't huge so the size is fine. The table opens quite large but folds up and squeezes into a corner. The wheels do lock so that helps sturdy it a bit.

Sometimes JoAnn's has one open. If not ask if they'll open one up for you.

memathomas 11-25-2009 02:17 AM

yes i have one it lasted about 3yrs i enjoyed after a while the wheels came off
i use it as a craft table now for the kids. i replaced it with a 4 by 7 oak cutting table an Amish man made for me its wonderful and it was moor than affordable he even put the cutting grove in

i love it
:)

liblueeyes 11-25-2009 03:18 AM

Thank you all so much for all your advice........... I think the looking and seeing is going to be the key. I am moving my sewing from a bedroom to the living room. The oak table I use to iron and cut on will just be too big for the area. I don't want to feel cramped with that and the machine table. I am taking all your advice and going shopping on Black Friday.
THANK YOU THANK YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :D :D

ohstr 11-25-2009 04:56 AM

Hi -
I have this table and I really like it. The ends can be folded down when not in use. I was able to get it on sale too - it is a great table... The height is good because you are not bent over the work surface, and that means you are able to spend more time on your projects. Good Luck.

Sue

mpspeedy 11-25-2009 04:59 AM

Hi, My husband bought me a similar table from Joanns at least 15 or more years ago. It had a wooden frame. He also purchased the mat. Mine has a drawer in the center section and I can roll up the mat and stuff it through the center section for storage if the table leaves are collapsed. Currently it is wide open with the mat on it and piled three feet high with various fabrics and projects. I am currently in mass production for the Linus project.

The table has come in handy in many ways. When it was in the main part of my family room it often served as a buffet table. You can collapse one side of it and still use it for a serving or other surface.

The one in the ad you showed probably won't last as long as mine but it shoud be of service to you. Mine has been used for hundreds of sewing and quilting projects.
The price is certainly right and you will appreciate the height.

jbud2 11-25-2009 05:04 AM

I have it and love it. I did have to go back and tighten up the screws after I used it for several years. And I use it to wrap Christmas presents on, too. Just the right height. And then folds away so I can use the sewing room as a guest room. If I had a permanent-only-used for sewing room, I would opt for a heavier sturdier table.

AnnaK 11-25-2009 06:42 AM

I bought bed risers and put them on each leg of my foldable 'buffet' table. It makes the table the perfect cutting height for me (about counter height), is very sturdy and the table has a double purpose. I think I got the risers for about $10. Just a thought.

omak 11-25-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by vandee
You will love the height - 36" is the same as my kitchen counters. I have a center island in my sewing room, with a large custom made counter top. I use a higher padded stool for sitting, since I like to keep moving between ironing board, cutting mat and machine. I can turn and slide off stool very easily. I think my spot is perfect!! The high stool is very kind to sore knees, vs. a traditional chair, whick I think is too low. I have no back or knee problems, which if you do have, this my not be as perfect.
This is my first response to chat on line with anyone, anytime. Hope it works.... :lol: Vandee

Well said ... to know for sure if it is higher ... measure your kitchen cabinets and compare heights to those ...
Welcome to posting Miss Vandee <wave>

Rose Marie 11-25-2009 09:15 AM

I bought this table several years ago for 59 dollars at Joanns. That was the regular price then.
I love it but since I am only 5 ft. tall I have to use a small step stool to stand on.
I use it to pin smaller quilts and even some larger ones that I have to move to pin and it works great. You can buy the plastic clips that hold the quilt to the table, they fit perfect. I also use the large black clips that you get at the dollar store.
I love it mainly because it folds up so it dosnt take up the whole room.