Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions on Handi Quilter 16? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-handi-quilter-16-a-t181754.html)

CanoePam 03-05-2012 08:11 PM

I have the sitdown version of the HQ Sweet 16. I love it! I have tried long arms on a frame, and my back just doesn't like it. I also discovered that I like to put my hands on the fabric LOL! I just really enjoy the tactile feeling of moving the fabric rather than the machine. You really need to try the various versions and see what works best for you.

I have had no trouble with my machine. My dealer set it up at their shop and did some test sewing. I then took it home and haven't needed to go back since! In the 8 months I've had it I have quilted a dozen or more placemats, 3 table runners, 2 wall hangings, and 5 baby/lap size quilts. In the previous 3 years I had quilted a wall hanging and one baby quilt on my domestic machine! If you are comfortable adjusting your machine, you'll have no problem. If you expect it to handle all variations of batting and threads without adjusting, you won't be happy with it. The S16 has taken every type of thread I've thrown at it - metallics, YLI, Aurifil, King Tut, Gutterman, Isacord, and probably some others I can't remember. It does take some practice, but the results are worth it.

Pam

cathyvv 03-05-2012 09:17 PM

I bought a used HQ16 and a pcquilter and quilting frame. Love the HQ16, especially since I figured I figured out the tension. The sit down is the same model, just docked in a table.

I can't use a sitdown table for quilting due to problems with my hands, so can't comment on that. Some folks have suggested going to the sit down group on yahoo...a good idea.

amandasgramma 03-05-2012 09:20 PM

I have the HQ Avante 18"....I love it. I attend a class once a month at the dealership. A number of the people in the class had 16's and liked them, but traded up because they liked having more quilting space. I can't stand for long myself, so I bought a rolling saddle seat stool. It's adjustable up and down and the seat can be adjusted for its tilt. It doesn't have a back to get in the way. It helps a lot ---I just have to remember to let the seat down before I try to get off it!!! One of these days I'm going to break my neck!!!

annrook 03-05-2012 10:24 PM

I have had and used a HQ 16 for over 7 years. It is a workhorse! It requires a little lint removal and a little oil in the bobbin case area and away it goes and goes and goes. I have quilted over 400 quilts.

SueDor 03-06-2012 03:15 AM

I agree with ckcowl, its nice to have a dealer around to help locally, but at one time I did have to talk to tech at HQ. Love the machine and I have no unfinished quilts.

katz_n_kwiltz 03-06-2012 05:05 AM

love my HQ16! I have the model where you stand at the table have had it since '05.
havent tried the sit down one, but do yourself a favor- go to a quilt show n try before you buy, dont be afraid to ask questions, and try to find a dealer near you. Try several models- not just HQ- if it has all the bells n whistles- go for it,
AND- you will get a better price if you buy one @ a show!! happy hunting!
Katz

Karen's Kreations 03-06-2012 05:50 AM

I have the HQ16 sit down machine and I love it. I looked at several mid to long arm machines and test drove quite a few. My biggest problem is lack of space for the standup longarm setup.