Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   People unclear on the concept of a quilt.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/people-unclear-concept-quilt-t889.html)

Barbm 05-03-2007 06:46 AM

I love making baby quilts and always hope to hear they are being loved. Last week a good friend of mine told me her daughter (who received a crocheted afghan when she was born) fights over the quilt I made her son last year. It has frogs and brights greens and blues and she loves it! Makes me feel good that they love it.

I also make quilts for our family reunions. None have come back to me and I love/hate seeing them go off to new homes, but I love hearing they have all been put in places that show the new owners love them. Last years winner, my cousin Don, had the quilt taken right away by his wife to say it was going on her antique sleigh bed- he couldn't have it! This years quilts are better than ever- as my skills progress, the quilts get bigger and nicer.

Barb

sarah333 05-03-2007 04:28 PM

kathy you truly are blessed, because it really does hurt ,when i made a quilt for my neice ,well my sis. threw it away after the dog had her pups.on it .i gave a blue jean quilt to my mother in law and it never saw the light of day either.but i've allso made quilts for people who love and use them, so i guess that out weighs the bad tia sarah

Boo 05-03-2007 04:56 PM

This thread reminds me that quilting is an ongoing learning process. We love what we do, but also share love with a quilt. I expect a baby or child's quilt to be used, abused, dragged and loved. To me that shows it is appreciated. On the other hand, if my love and labor are not appreciated and used, I have learned something. Doesn't mean I am happy with the lesson, but I will not repeat that mistake. So all is good.

susan s. 05-04-2007 05:14 AM

Tell your d-i-l that a canvas drop cloth from home depot big enough to cover her couch is probably under twenty bucks. Or even better, buy one for her. Paint it to look like a quilt. And when you give it to her tell her this is dog appropriate quilt art. Maybe she'll get the Idea. Make sure you show her your best quilt work on things that are gifts for other people. I told my hubby I was going to make canvas drop cloth slip covers for our couch because I was tired of the mess. Well guess what! Our dogs do not get on my couch any more! They better not It's brand new and I'm still paying for it! Maybe I'll make one for the bed! :lol: :evil: :lol:

kathy 05-04-2007 05:46 AM

Susan, I like your style!!!!!!!!!
kathy

vicki reno 05-04-2007 06:55 AM

What a neat idea! Very subtle yet she'll get the point w/out open warfare.

sarah333 05-04-2007 07:00 AM

i'am telling you ladies an application. thats what we should pass out and have people fill out before we even think about making them a quilt . i think it would save us a lot of grief and heart ache.

kathy 05-04-2007 07:25 AM

kinda like a pre-nup!

vicki reno 05-04-2007 07:31 AM

I know from experience that that would have eleiminated several people!

sarah333 05-04-2007 09:14 AM

i know thats right