Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   permission to display quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/permission-display-quilt-t185421.html)

whinnytoo 04-10-2012 02:59 AM

I agree totally!!!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5126568)
Personally I think it's a pretty sad point we've come to when you have to ask permission to display your *own* work. No matter who designed the pattern, you made the quilt.

ckcowl 04-10-2012 03:18 AM

have you tried Debbie's website? you may be able to contact her through there & tell her your situation- (cut out the middleman- magazine)
or contact the show administrators & explain the quilt copyright belongs to the magazine & there is published permission---see if that gets you anywhere.

MaryKatherine 04-10-2012 03:39 AM

I think it's sufficient to simply give credit for the pattern. Selling it is a different matter.
MaryKatherine

labtechkty 04-10-2012 03:39 AM

On several occasions when looking through magazines and internet sites, the designer or owner of the mag or web site post a statement that the design CAN be used for display or sales..you just can't sale the pattern...maybe McCall's does the same...go back and look...if they do then it would seem to me that gives you the permission...Good luck and post a pict...would love to see the quilt...

Dodie 04-10-2012 05:10 AM

I agree with scissorqueen that is one reason I no longer subscribe to magazines they want tp publish patterns but then not allow tjem to be used and I do agree once we buy the pattern and fabric we already have lots of money tied up in it then the time of all of our work and we should be able to show it so I just leave all magazines alone check with the fabric companies there are lots of nice free patterns out there

jaciqltznok 04-10-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5126568)
Personally I think it's a pretty sad point we've come to when you have to ask permission to display your *own* work. No matter who designed the pattern, you made the quilt.

yep, makes it NO fun at all!

GrannieAnnie 04-10-2012 05:25 AM

Just curious! If someone used an old traditional pattern, what would the contest still require someone's permission? I don't use purchased patterns. And generally not even patterns from books------------outside of general ideas

ghostrider 04-10-2012 05:30 AM

This is not a case of right or wrong in anyone's opinion, legal or not legal. It's a question of how to work within the entry rules that this particular quilt guild has established for their show, plain and simple. There have been a few good suggestions for the OP that may solve her immediate problem and I hope she follows up on those and lets us know how it worked out.

Most shows are now requiring the designer's name if the quilt is not an original, many even ask for what inspired the quiltmaker. I think both of those tactics are quite fair. Only a few go to the extreme that Maine Quilts has gone. Those that require written permission from a designer are shooting themselves in the foot, imho, because they are truly discouraging many quilters from entering their shows, especially those just starting out on the competitive path.

quiltmom04 04-10-2012 05:40 AM

When I've displayed quilts, and seen them in shows, there's always statement from the quilter - usually about the design and inspiration. This is where you need to reference the quilt designer and the magazine it came from. Then there will be no questions as to where the design came from.

hoppa 04-10-2012 05:41 AM

I think it is ridiculois you need permission as you just need to give credit as it was just published for people to use and then you design it with your fabric