Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   permission to display quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/permission-display-quilt-t185421.html)

Grace MooreLinker 04-10-2012 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by snow (Post 5127340)
I feel if the pattern is in a maginze or book or on the internet you should be able to display it when you make the quilt when they sold or gave the pattern to the maginze or for the books it is free to make and display. For you bought the maginze or the book so you should have the right to display it when you make a quilt from it.
Phillis

I feel the same, if we use diferrent fabric then that is your quilt ..also you bought the pattern when you paid for the book or maginze..

KyKaren1949 04-10-2012 09:44 AM

From what I have read about copyright law, if you have bought the pattern, whatever project you make is yours to display. That right is yours when she sold it to you. I have researched this at great length because I do the newsletter for my quilt guild. I used to maintain our guild's facebook page as well, so we wanted to be especially cautious. It was suggested that anytime we posted a picture of a quilt on our page, we should list the designer of the pattern as well as the company that made the fabric, i.e. Moda.

Rowena101 04-10-2012 12:21 PM

I am glad to say, I recieved the permmision from McCalls. I made 3 phone calls today to the various numbers in the fromt of the book. I finally got a nice call from Tricia. She emailed me the information I needed. Thanks for all the help from all you nice folks !!! You are all grate. Rowena101

jljack 04-10-2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5126568)
Personally I think it's a pretty sad point we've come to when you have to ask permission to display your *own* work. No matter who designed the pattern, you made the quilt.

Scissor, I completely agree with you!! Some shows have gone completely out of the park with this nonsense. So afraid someone is going to sue someone. Get a grip, people!! It's quilts, not $1 million intellectual property!!

QandE2010 04-10-2012 01:04 PM

Good luck and let us know what happens.

ghostrider 04-10-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rowena101 (Post 5130912)
I am glad to say, I recieved the permmision from McCalls. I made 3 phone calls today to the various numbers in the fromt of the book. I finally got a nice call from Tricia. She emailed me the information I needed. Thanks for all the help from all you nice folks !!! You are all grate. Rowena101

So glad it all worked out well for you!! Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck with your entry!! :)

Christine- 04-11-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 (Post 5130550)
I used to maintain our guild's facebook page as well, so we wanted to be especially cautious. It was suggested that anytime we posted a picture of a quilt on our page, we should list the designer of the pattern as well as the company that made the fabric, i.e. Moda.

Your group takes themselves entirely too seriously! I have so much stash, if I had to come up with the manufacturer of every piece of fabric I used in a quilt it would be impossible. I'm curious about the thought process your group went through to come up with a rule to include the company that made a fabric. Was it a request by fabric companies that led you to make this rule?

I think it's overkill, but that's my opinion. I can't think of any better way to discourage quilters from sharing their talents. I've been sewing for 38 years and in all that time I haven't seen one lawsuit, complaint or even a nasty letter by a fabric company because their name wasn't included as the maker of a fabric someone used. Can you imagine how large the quilt label could end up being on a quilt, even if someone were able to come up with all the manfacturers? Would we then need to create a "map" of where to find Moda's scrap, for example?

GrannieAnnie 04-12-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5129837)
This is not a case of right or wrong in anyone's opinion, legal or not legal. It's a question of how to work within the entry rules that this particular quilt guild has established for their show, plain and simple. There have been a few good suggestions for the OP that may solve her immediate problem and I hope she follows up on those and lets us know how it worked out.

Most shows are now requiring the designer's name if the quilt is not an original, many even ask for what inspired the quiltmaker. I think both of those tactics are quite fair. Only a few go to the extreme that Maine Quilts has gone. Those that require written permission from a designer are shooting themselves in the foot, imho, because they are truly discouraging many quilters from entering their shows, especially those just starting out on the competitive path.

Grrrrrrrrr! Some quilt blocks have been in the public domain for generations. What then?

Hinterland 04-12-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 5133001)
I think it's overkill, but that's my opinion. I can't think of any better way to discourage quilters from sharing their talents. I've been sewing for 38 years and in all that time I haven't seen one lawsuit, complaint or even a nasty letter by a fabric company because their name wasn't included as the maker of a fabric someone used.

There was a dust up recently where exactly that happened, but it was the fabric designer. The designer's fabric was used in such a way that it landed in the gray area where she and her lawyers felt it was infringement, and the book publisher felt it was fair use. Google Carolina Patchworks and copyright and you should find some interesting reading. It's been settled, fortunately.

Most quilters don't need to worry about it unless we're publishing a book, using a designer's collection for the quilt projects, and making plastic tote bags from a picture of the resulting quilt.

Janet

ghostrider 04-12-2012 03:37 PM

For some very thought provoking reading on copyrights and their absurdity within the quilting world, see Leah Day's blog post on Copyright Terrorism. It's quite long, but well worth reading in it's entirety.
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...terrorism.html