Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pets and Quilts - What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pets-quilts-what-do-you-do-t173722.html)

damaquilts 12-31-2011 05:56 AM

I put a sheet over my quilts. He seems to like sleeping on sheets. Some times he will undo the bed simply to sleep on the sheet by my pillow. My old quilts don't go on my bed anymore . They live in an old china cabinet now.

GemState 12-31-2011 06:21 AM

I made my kitty her own little matching quilt, same pattern and fabric as the quilt on the bed. She doesn't always sleep on IT, but it does help.

catrancher 12-31-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr (Post 4824170)
I don't know about dogs, but I have enough cat fur that my kids think I can use it for batting! ROFL My cats sleep with us every night and they do play 'pounce on the toes' but that is it, nothing that would harm a quilt other than to cover it in fur.

Gota love the little furry ones :)

Same here. My quilts are built to be used, and they are washable. It's a good idea to shrink your batting however. My king size quilt shrunk substantially the first time I washed it. Bummer.

peaceandjoy 12-31-2011 06:31 AM

When I make a quilt, I want loved ones to use it! Gifted quilts are given with a note that they are completely washable and they are meant to be used, not "saved." Whether that means dragged around, used as a fort, laid on the lawn, whatever.

Of course, I feel the same way about ones in my home. And I love my cat. He can't help it that he doesn't know he's a cat, or understand that he has more fur than DH does. Actually, DH would probably like some of the fur - he's quickly going bald. So I say, use them and let your loved ones - whether they have 2 legs or 4 - use them, too.

glorcour 12-31-2011 07:06 AM

My beardie used to sleep on the bed when we were away but now he cannot jump up onto the high bed. He is almost 14. I made him his very own "Bernie" quilt and placed over the bed quilt. Now he has it on the floor where he balls it up and sleeps on it whenever he wants. He is, afterall, the BOSS of the house.

vickig626 12-31-2011 07:08 AM

my little doxie does this thing where he tries to fluff up the area where he wants to plop down (I'm sure many pets do this) but then he'll start to "dig" into that area too. He also bites at my quilt, fluffs it up, and it's still perfect. When he starts to dig into it, I ask him if he's testing my stitches LOL

Homemother 12-31-2011 07:20 AM

I love all the pet stories!!! I waited a long time to get my pet and I'm so happy to have her!!!

Caroline S 12-31-2011 07:25 AM

Yep, sounds like my house, four Labradors that just love their comfort, totally spoiled and it is a contest every night as to who gets to sleep on the bed. I have two comforters on the bed that I bought at Goodwill and a indestructable denim rag quilt on top of them that I made in October. Believe it or not I vacuum the denim quilt to remove the dog hair. Works great and no damage to the quilt at all. As much as I would like to have a pretty quilt on the bed I am very realistic that I would go balistic if it were damaged. Tango the cat has her own basket with her very own quilt so she doesn't compete with the dogs for a bed/sleeping spot.

shnnn 12-31-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626 (Post 4826957)
my little doxie does this thing where he tries to fluff up the area where he wants to plop down (I'm sure many pets do this) but then he'll start to "dig" into that area too. He also bites at my quilt, fluffs it up, and it's still perfect. When he starts to dig into it, I ask him if he's testing my stitches LOL

My dog doesn't fluff - he squishes. only dog I've ever seen push the blankets down instead of fluffing them up

Mona Marie 12-31-2011 07:46 AM

My dog sleeps on my bed all the time and it has not bother my quilt. I wash it quit often also. And this was my first one that I did