Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pets and Quilts - What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pets-quilts-what-do-you-do-t173722.html)

bnndr 12-31-2011 07:58 AM

I have two very large dogs and one small cat. The dogs are a English Mastiff and a Great Dane totaling well over 300 lbs. All my animals are allowed to sleep on the bed. I have hand quilted quilts on my bed and have experienced no problems, but I do have a couple of special handquilted quilts with embroidery and beading that I will not put allowing the dogs to sleep on and only put on the bed if company is staying over.

quilting in my60s 12-31-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 4824185)
I have a small doggie quilt that the canines know to stay on at the foot of the bed. It seems to work for us. :)

Great idea, I think for my small dog that is getting on in years, it would need to be something like a small sleeping bag to keep him warm.

jgriinke 12-31-2011 08:07 AM

I have a 60 lb dog and a cat that sleeps with us most nights. I put the quilt in the dryer about once a month on air just to remove the hair. I have many quilts that I change out through the year, so they get to sleep on many different quilts.

Havplenty 12-31-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bnndr (Post 4827191)
I have two very large dogs and one small cat. The dogs are a English Mastiff and a Great Dane totaling well over 300 lbs. All my animals are allowed to sleep on the bed. I have hand quilted quilts on my bed and have experienced no problems, but I do have a couple of special handquilted quilts with embroidery and beading that I will not put allowing the dogs to sleep on and only put on the bed if company is staying over.

how do you find room to sleep in your own bed when sharing it with dogs that size?:)

laynak 12-31-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 4825487)
Our big goofy lab and two long hair cats sleep on every quilt in the house. They hold up just fine. The way I see it, the quilts are made to be used and loved, washing frequently just helps to age them, and if they wear out, then I am justified in making more.

I agree that keeping the pet nails trimmed is helpful. And we brush/bathe/groom our pets frequently to minimize the need to wash the bedding constantly.

RST

We have 2 Shibas and a kitty and this is my practice too....they appreciate quilts so much, I make them to cover the furniture, wash them, 'de-hair' them when the dogs go through shedding, and rotate them for different seasons. The quilts too special for pets are hung as wallhangings or on quilt racks. Quilts hold up through many washings (I use a Shout Color Catcher for a time when first being washed). And, as you said, when the quilts get old, they'll be replaced! And, I bathe the dogs every 4-6 weeks or so and keep their nails trimmed too.

Rose Marie 12-31-2011 08:57 AM

Four cats sleep with me and they allow me to sleep under their quilts.
The only problem so far is one cat who loves batting and will tear it up if I have it layered for quilting.
So any quilt thats pinned and layered must be hidden.
I must drop everything when they want attention and a lap or there will be hurt feelings. It is hard when there is only one person and 4 cats since they do compete for attention.

mollymunchkin 12-31-2011 09:05 AM

I have made DH two quilts in the past 18 years. The first is in pretty bad shape, lots of holes chewed by our two little dogs (Jack Russell mixes), but it is over 10 years old and I suspect the dogs chewed on it because we had another dog before them and it was a territory issue. The dogs don't have any interest in the new quilt (just over a year old). The quilt stays on the couch in the family room and they sit on it sometimes, but that doesn't hurt it. My quilts are nothing fancy, just made to keep my family warm and comfy.

Greenheron 12-31-2011 09:13 AM

No quilts on our beds--we have three different breeds of terriers and a Tibetan Spaniel--the terrorists are nesters/diggers and would probably destroy a quilt. Just hair--I wouldn't care.

bj riley 12-31-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 4824281)
My cats live on the quilts downstairs and the quilts are doing just fine after many years of little claws being stuck on occasion.
((So what's the worst thing that could happen? The quilt wears out and you make a new one.

))

Yes Our pets are family members

bnndr 12-31-2011 09:15 AM

Dogs are allowed on bed only when I am not in it. hehe. They do tend to stretch out when they sleep or they will cuddle with each other with their legs wrapped around each other. They are so cute when they cuddle.