Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PFaff versus Bernina (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-versus-bernina-t218005.html)

Milli 04-01-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pjsandusky (Post 5970640)
I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky

Hate my Pfaff! :thumbdown::(:mad:

Candace 04-01-2013 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5970953)
Only the TOL Pfaff and Vikings are made in Sweden.
The only thing you might want to check is the bobbin. Most Berninas are vertical. The Pfaffs have gone drop in.

I prefer the vertical bobbin - it's easier to deal with. However, Babylock, Brother, Janome users might say just the opposite.

I don't believe this is correct. Pfaff used to be made in Germany, not Sweden. Viking used to be made in Sweden but both Viking and Pfaff merged with Singer to create SVP which are now manufactured in China.

Bernina bought a factory in Thailand to produce some of their lower end machines. The TOL machines are still made in Switzerland.

I own the new 830 and if I could turn back time, I'd buy a longarm instead...

AliKat 04-01-2013 04:51 PM

Hard to say. Yes, I love my Pfaff because of the IDT - dual feed feature. Both my high end and my mid range machines are great.

Berninas are good too. Though their feet are much more costly for when you want to get different or special feet.

Traditional Quilter 04-01-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pjsandusky (Post 5970640)
I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky

My suggestion is to sit down and sew on each one then purchase the one you are most comfortable with. I owned a Bernina but was always intimidated by it. I bought it because my friend said it was the best. Fifteen years later I bought a Viking. I love it. It's like buying a car--- when you sit behind the wheel you just know you have to have this one.

Scissor Queen 04-01-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter (Post 5971164)
My suggestion is to sit down and sew on each one then purchase the one you are most comfortable with. I owned a Bernina but was always intimidated by it. I bought it because my friend said it was the best. Fifteen years later I bought a Viking. I love it. It's like buying a car--- when you sit behind the wheel you just know you have to have this one.

Personally I think a sewing machine is even more personal than a car. I have a Janome 6600 and I'm seriously considering trading it for one of the top end Pfaffs. I also have a Pfaff 2030 and I love that machine.

Elise1 04-01-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Txsuthrn (Post 5970780)
I love my quilt expressions 4.0 pfaff

Same here. But try both and see what suits you best.

calla 04-01-2013 05:56 PM

I listed for a Bernina because of the knee lift, great machine bad dealer............good thing I wasn't a new sewer..........calla

Blue Bell 04-01-2013 06:23 PM

Love, love my Pfaff

cindyw 04-01-2013 08:16 PM

I have a Pfaff QE4 and would not buy it again. I have spent hours trying to use it to quilt and no success. The name of machine is Quilt Expressions - why won't it quilt? There are quite a few stories about this machine not working for quilting. I love it for piecing but that's not why I bought it.

SewSydney 04-02-2013 02:50 AM

Love my Pfaff QE4. Quilts like a dream.